SOLVED Looking for replacement programs

Reaction score
I asked this ages ago and just re-visiting now in the hope someone else may have answers for me.
Two of my favourite programs for photo editing and loading is JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 and SD Viewer which works with my Panasonic Digital camera.

Both run very shakily in Win 7, even in compatability mode so normally I will load XP instead to get the job done but it would be nice to do it in 7.

Coral Paint shop Pro X3 is supposed to be the replacement for JASC PSP but if you read the box it does not mention Win 7 and I wont shell out $80 to get it and have it not work.

Now whilst I am sure there will be many completely different programs for photo editing that work on Win 7 just fine I am looking for replacements with the same or at least very similar interfaces to what I am used to useing.

So if anyone has experience with JASC Paint Shop and SD viewer and know of comparable replacements to them please let me know.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't know how advanced your are in this work. I am fairly basic, and use such programs at that level. But, I have Ashampoo Photocommander (Free) on my computer, which is enough for my needs. I got it on a free give away, as I was an established customer, but I see it is still free -here:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0718/Offline/Ashampoo-Photo-Commander-5

I also have (for myfamilie's use - lots of functions I could never learn to use) CorelDraw Graphics suite X5. It has an alladin's cave of functions, including photo editing. But it's a heck of a price. Youy might qualify for an upgrade though, at $199
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1191272117978#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I also am fairly basic and SD viewer is really fast and simple. PSP has more features then I've learned to use but I like it's interface and what I use of it works well for me.
I'll take a look at your suggestion.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Photoshop CS5.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of photo editing work do you do? Is it basic things like re-touching colours, red eye removal and so on - or are you looking for something that does a whole range of other things too?

If it's just basic editing and viewing, then perhaps check out Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) - it's free and works really well. Although, it isn't equipped to do much other than retouching photos.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Corel Paint Shop Pro X4 works very well in Windows 7 as I have used it in the past.

System Requirements

• Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or Windows® XP with latest service packs installed (32-bit or 64-bit editions)
  • 1.5 GHz processor (2GHz or faster processor recommended)
  • 1 GB RAM (2 GB or higher recommended)
  • 1 GB of free hard drive space required (2 GB or greater recommended)
  • 1024 x 768 16-bit display
  • Windows-compatible CD-ROM drive for installation
  • Internet connection required to post photos online and download program updates
$80.00 US Dollars is the "Upgrade" price.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I shall also take a look at that. I've downloaded the Ashampoo program that Dave suggested and it runs fine in 7 though I don't like it's interface as much as PSP.
To answer your query generally very basic stuff although I will have a play from time to time to try to tweak a photo a bit more.Sometimes I can do better then the auto function but not always.
The other program I mentioned SD viewer which came with my camera is a very quick and basic program for looking at photo's in the camera before loading them into the computer. It also has a very simple two click function for re-sizing a photo for emailing.
I'm debating whether or not to go slightly more upmarket and get myself an entry level DSLR. Even the basic ones can also take photo's in RAW format.

Reaction score
The Corel Paint Shop Pro X4 works very well in Windows 7 as I have used it in the past.
Thanks Nibs, that is good to know as the Pro X3 version I saw did not mention it's compatability with 7.
I'm happy to pay that sort of money if I know for sure it will be stable on the system.

Reaction score
Well I tried Picassa. Initially it seemed ok. I liked it's interface.
Then all of a sudden I kept getting this box coming up trying to load something called 'Pure HD'. I'd cancel it then it would just keep restarting again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are only looking for basics at entry level, and free, Live essentials?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Have you given Gimp a look? A lot like PS so it'll have a learning curve, did a minor test on it recently, but having PS never persevered. As has been said, depends how "deep" you want to go.

Reaction score
Yeah, that was exactly what happened to me. Although I was not accessing video files. It just began of it's own accord.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, I am serious. I use an older version of PSP, that disables Aero every time I am running it, and I don't really want to pay to upgrade and I kinda like the looks of that.

Reaction score
Yes, I am serious. I use an older version of PSP, that disables Aero every time I am running it, and I don't really want to pay to upgrade and I kinda like the looks of that.
Damn! I was hoping it was an extremely amusing troll. :( Alas.

Ask a Question