SOLVED Looking for better snapshot control

Reaction score
This is my third time typing this, so if its unclear just ask.

I am looking for something that will give me similar functionality to the command-shift-4 on a mac.

It allows you to essentially crop(click and drag) your snapshot when you take it and saves it to the desktop.

I like it because I don't have to worry about opening an image editor and pasting my print screen, cropping it, then saving it. It all happens at the time the snapshot is taken.

I'm looking for something that will run in the background, or even a widget, that i can just hit the keys then click n' drag over my screen and release to have it take the picture.

Does anyone know any programs that have that kind of functionality?

Reaction score
There is a program called Howies's quick screen capture.
Not sure if it runs under windows 7. I know it wont let you crop the snapshot but it does run in the background one you load it or start it each time you start the computer, you press one key 'insert' in my case but I think you can set which hotkey you want. It makes a shutter sound like a camera and saves the screen picture in my documents folder.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have a look at snagit. It does what you want and more. Makes a movie, for tutorial purposes, captures rolling windows such as web pages. It has an option to setup hotkeys.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Snagit FTW! This is all I use for screen captures, etc. It rocks!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Veedaz's sugestion is probably best, bit there is also the Windows 7 "Snipping tool". Just assign it a hotkey and you can start snipping.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I agree with our newest VIP member... :) the sniping tool in win7 works just fine.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kalario!

If you don't know how to assign a key to the snipping tool, it's really easy:

1. Start
2. All Programs
3. Accessories
4. Right Click on Snipping Tool
5. Select Properties
Now simply enter in the shortcut key text box something like CTRL+F12.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for info.
@davehc -snagit looks sweet, but I don't have any money to spare right now and it costs money to get the good features, (or has a time limit)
@Veedz- Screen hunter also looks good, but to get the adjustable size (cropping) you have to get the full version. Again facing the lack of funds problem.

@Fire Cat- snipping tool is cool, a few more extra steps than I was looking for, but it works for what I wanted.

Again, thanks everyone.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for info.
@davehc -snagit looks sweet, but I don't have any money to spare right now and it costs money to get the good features, (or has a time limit)
@Veedz- Screen hunter also looks good, but to get the adjustable size (cropping) you have to get the full version. Again facing the lack of funds problem.

@Fire Cat- snipping tool is cool, a few more extra steps than I was looking for, but it works for what I wanted.

Again, thanks everyone.
Glad I could help, Zero0darkness :)
What features do you consider as "a few more extra steps"? The editing option?

Reaction score
I wasn't saying it as a bad thing or anything, but yeah, the editing is extra (and useful). I was looking for something that just saved it automatically like on a mac, but sometimes you find more than you are looking for. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
zero0darkness wrote

but sometimes you find more than you are looking for
Thats often true with a lot of software ... and can be a nice surprise :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
LOL. Well spotted, Fire cat! It obviously did not occur to any of us that the OP had not found the snipping tool.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL. Well spotted, Fire cat! It obviously did not occur to any of us that the OP had not found the snipping tool.

I explore Windows Features to avoid installing softwares that do what I can already do with windows. Exception for CCleaner. ;) That's why I don't know of many softwares, and I think about windows features first, before the 3rd party apps.

Ask a Question