Longtime XP Pro user migrating to Windows 7

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Since 2002, I've been a loyal XP Pro user. I will still keep my laptops with XP Pro until the wheels fall off. But I knew the day was coming, I bypassed Vista, tried Linux Ubuntu (too hard for me to comprehend). Today, I took a major step forward and ordered a new all in one HP PC with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). It will be a week before it's here, but I'm anxious to get it. Being that I've never used this OS, I decided to join a forum for advice, as I know that I'll need it. But I already have a couple of questions. Is Windows 7 real hard to learn? I hope it's not like Linux. And I'm not bashing Linux, a lot of users really tried to help me, but it wasn't for me. I had no problem moving from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro.( I still dual boot between the two). But will skipping Vista hurt me? I never wanted it because I didn't see the need to fix what wasn't broken, and everyone who I knew who used Vista trashed it. They all complained and some even downgraded to XP Pro to escape it. But back to the point, technology moves forward, and so must I. I don't want too many versions of Windows to pass by and I won't even know how to use a PC again. XP will only be here for a few more years, and the support for Win 2K Pro ends next year. I want to remain a Windows user and wanted a PC instead of laptops, and the prices are really good, so I'm moving forward. Hopefully, this forum will be a home for me to learn. And one more question. Will this 64 bit be any different than the 32 bit laptop that I'm now using? My laptop and the new PC both has 2GB RAM. Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to read my post, and I look forward to being here many years.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi catilley1092 and a warm welcome to Windows 7 Forums :)

I to used XP Pro from day one and its still a great OS, tried Vista (dint like it) Linux 50/50 on that its a bit alien, but Windows 7 has a few new things, XP was like an E-type Jag but Windows 7 is an E-type after the custom car kiddy's have done there stuff its better then XP (and i was very sceptical until i loaded RC1) now the final build is out I'm impressed and i think you may be. Questions your in the right place and among friends so please do ask ... we all learn each day by asking :)

Reaction score
Hi catilley - Welcome to w7forums

skipping Vista hurt me?
I don't think skipping Vista will hurt you that bad. There is still allot of changes from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Instead of getting used to two different Operating Systems. There is only one learning curve that you will be going through instead of two. And to be honest it is not that big a learning curve.

I to skipped Vista for the most part. I started Dual booting Vista and XP to see if I liked Vista. After a month or so I heard about Beta version of Windows 7 for download from Microsoft. At first I set a triple boot to compare the three and noticed I was using Windows 7 for all of my Applications. After a month of triple booting I removed Vista and was Dual Booting XP and Windows 7. In a period of three month's I noticed I never was booting to XP.

There is a small difference in the User Interface. In my opinion it's for the better and will only take some getting used to. Within a month or so you will be just fine navigating. The differences in the 32-Bit vs the 64-Bit are not noticed in the User Interface. These differences are all hidden. The only difference that I have really noticed is all the 32-Bit software now is installed to "Program Files (x86)" folder by default. This is nothing to worry about as I stated its done by default. The newer Applications that are 64-Bit will be installing to "Program Files" folder.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
catilley1092 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forum! I am sure you'll find it a rewarding experience as much as I have.

You won't have to many issues getting used to Windows 7. It's extremely user friendly and there are many good guides available out on the web to help you.

Go to Paul Thurrott's website here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/
for good info and tips. In addition, there are several good guides and articles here at Windows 7 Forums.

Windows 7 x64 is a good OS, you'll like it! If you ever decide to add another 2GB of RAM it will really help out.

Have fun, enjoy the best version of Windows ever! I am serious because I used Windows XP Pro for years, skipped Vista entirely and have had no problems migrating to 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement. It sounds like I done myself a favor by skipping Vista. I never understood why Microsoft couldn't make a "lite" Windows 7 to run on older systems, but that's the way it goes. My new PC is supposed to be here today, instead of next week. I'll be glad, because I'm anxious to learn Win 7. To Nibiru2012, I can only have 2GB RAM on this PC. I'm disabled, and couldn't afford a expensive one. I went with HP instead of the Dell because of price. Both of my laptops are Dell, and they have been good. But they were way out of my price range right now. The HP was $625, tax included. A stripped down Dell with my specs (2GB RAM, 320GB Drive) was $675, before anything. You have to "build" them. That's not bad, if you can afford it. My laptop is a all in one with tons of features thrown in. Even wi-fi and a web cam is there. I never heard of wi-fi on a PC. And I live in a "hot spot", so that's good too. But I have my own broadband wireless card for security when making purchases and reading emails (Verizon). Laptops are getting more inexpensive too. But a desktop runs cooler, you can upgrade parts on them, and the screens are so much bigger now (mine is a 18.5"). I'm getting older and these 14 inch laptops are beginning to strain my eyes. I already have the feeling, according to one of the above posts. that these laptops will start being used less and less, as they will become plain and dull to me. I love using my laptops. I'm disabled, having had a four level lumbar fusion in 2006, and still I live in pain every day. Getting on the net is an escape for me. In fact, it's about the only thing I even do anymore. A life of pain is no picnic. But that's enough on that. I'm not here to gain sympathy, I'm here to learn Windows 7. And hopefully make some friends along the way. Thanks to you all for your help, and hopefully the next post that I make here will be through Windows 7.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums catilley!

I never used Vista myself and did not find the transition from XP to W7 to be very difficult. In fact, I find so many things in W7 that make it so easy to use that I think "wow, why was this not in XP".

My best advise is to just take your time and explore your computer, there's lots of good helps built right into the system and of course we are here too. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My new PC has arrived, and I'm loving it! There are some differences from XP Pro, but I'm browsing fine. My hardest problem was getting my internet card started up, but the wi-fi is great. As I move along, I'll learn about this webcam on here. One other good thing, this PC is an all in one, so it's not bulky and took no time to assemble. Only the keyboard and mouse to install. XP is sure going to lose a lot of followers to Windows 7, I believe. That's part of the reason I made the early switch, all the good publicity. Now I know for sure that I missed nothing by skipping Vista. Thanks to you all for the moral support and I'll be here for a long time.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Good to hear you like Windows 7 catilley1092, and i think your right XP will live out its days and then be no more, as for Vista ..... well whatever :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is the best OS that I've ever ran! Easy to use, a tad bit slower than XP Pro, perhaps that's because of the specs of my PC, but I like it better for the graphics and overall feel and appearance. The PC that I'm running it on was all that I could afford. I would have upgraded the RAM, but it is sold as a quick ship only, and 2GB is all that it will hold. But that doesn't matter to me, as I'm no gamer. I browse, send & receive emails, do surveys and shop. This is all that I need. Certainly better than XP and Win 2K. I do have a laptop that dual boots between those two, but I'm using it less and less.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Now I know for sure that I missed nothing by skipping Vista. Thanks to you all for the moral support and I'll be here for a long time.
I'm glad that it's all working out for you! Enjoy Windows 7 and have fun. :ciao:

Ask a Question