Loading problem in my XP boot.

Reaction score
This has just started over the last few days and I've been dual booting happily for weeks now.
I don't believe it's hardware related as Win 7 still loads fine.

This only happens when I'm trying to boot into XP.

I get the POST then the option to boot either 7 or XP, then the XP splash screen. The problem starts from there.
One of 3 things happens.

1/ I get full desktop with icons but mouse pointer remains in busy.
2/ Full desktop with icons and mouse pointer looks normal on desktop but shows busy in taskbar.
3/ Everything looks normal but cannot open anything by clicking on them or useing keyboard.

Several re-boots later and it will all load properly and everything works fine.
I've run Cccleaner and chkdsk with no errors found.

I've gone into msconfig to try it with the minimum amount of things loading at boot but issue still happens.

Any suggestions of where I could look for answers?

Reaction score
Mychael~

You said you ran Ccleaner... and since you are "dual booting" did you run CCleaner on BOTH aspects of the system ( XP and Win 7) ..

Mind you this is a TOTAL shot in the dark for me as I dont run a dual boot .. but the same situation MAY apply .. I'm sure ill be corrected if I am incorrect..

I have seen it haappen sometimes when running CCleaner.. (mostly with dual USER situation) it doesnt clean form one user to another .. and you have to run it under BOTH users.. to make sure things are cleaned up..

Again TOTAL shot in the dark here .. but MAYBE it is the same case with Dual boot OS situation,, cause in essence with a dual OS .. you esentially have 2 separate partitons.. therefore 2 separate sections with 2 diffrent programs installed for each OS.. again I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be corrected..

Just some suggestions.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Hi, LWM,, Yes, have Cc installed in both Os's. Run it in both but no changes.
It's "something" I've done in XP I'm assuming, just not sure what that is yet nor where to look as I've not added/changed XP for ages and it was still dual booting well for the past month.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'd try recovering to an old XP restore point prior to the problem.

Reaction score
I may have to do that but was hoping to find the cause. Hate a mystery and even more not being able to understand/fix a problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If that works then you have the cause ... something got FUBAR'd

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Did you ever turn off Windows Defender?
What a/v are you using on XP?

System Restore?

Reaction score
ESET Nod32. Only in Win7 did I have a problem disabling defender