laserjet 2600n 64 bit windows 7

Reaction score
If you are having trouble installing the laserjet 2600n for windows 7 you are not alone.

Follow these steps.

Download the vista 64 bit driver for the 2600n.

run the program in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2 (this is not to install but to
get the files extracted.

Remember the location. Default would be programx86 Hewlett-Packard folder. You can pick where you want.

Once this is extracted. you go through the normal steps for adding a printer via athe control panel and then select have disk and point to the extracted folder. Select 2600 and continue install.

Once installed add a port and select tcpip port and the ip address of your printer.

It will now print to the printer over the network.

Reaction score
There have been lots of posts about problems with HP printers, so I bet this will help people with other models too. I found this post when checking compatibility with another printer for another user on here.

Thanks and welcome to the site Doncomp!

Reaction score
Doncomp is on the right track

This is the work around for installing the Windows 7 print driver for the HP Color LaserJet 2600n

Follow these steps.

Download the vista 64 bit driver for the 2600n. To your desktop it should say "clj2600n-HB-pd-win64-en"

Right Click on it and select "properties". Then select the tab at the top that says "compatibility" and select the check box "run this program in compatibility mode for: windows xp sp3 (this is not to install but to
get the files extracted, granting permission).

I also checked the box "Run this program as an administrator". click OK to close the dialog box.

Double click the Zip File that you just modified.(clj2600n-HB-pd-win64-en)

Next you will get a security warning, select run and you will get the WinZip Self Extractor. Now be careful, remember the location.

Default location would be in your temp files. I recommend that you type "C:\HP" and then unzip. It should tell you that two files were successfully unzipped.

Next, you should see the "hp color LaserJet 2600n HB - InstallShield Wizard"......It will by default save the files to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\color LaserJet 2600n Drivers" click Next.

Now you go through the normal steps for adding a local (note LOCAL not Network) printer via the control panel and then select "use and existing port: LPT1:" and then Next.

You should be at the Install the print driver box, select have disk on the lower right, and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\color LaserJet 2600n Drivers" that you just installed the files to. You should see one file "CLJ2600" select it and finish.

The HP Color LaserJet 2600n should now be in your printers folder.

Right click on it and select printer properties,

Select the tab at the top of the printer properties page for the 2600 that says "Port", Add Port, and add "Standard TCP/IP Port" click New Port. A Wizard to add a TCP/IP port will appear, select next at the bottom.

Now Type in the IP address of your HP 2600in the top box and click next. It should detect your printer and then create a port back on the Port tab of the printer properties box. Your new port should be checked, if not check it and click the General tab. Select Print a test page, it should now print.

Please note there are minor variations you can do that will still get the same results, this was as close as I could remember after spending an hour and a half on the chat line with a great HP tech.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
Digger662's solution for installing HP2600n drivers worked beautifully. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Reaction score
karacoz, glad it worked for you. I don't know why but the 2600 always seems to have upgrade ussues. I do like it as a color printer though.

Reaction score
Thanks

Digger: many thx for recounting your solution. i run my 2600n on a usb port which I already had plugged in before working with your solution. i only needed to go down through the install wizard step, the lo and behold, the printer showed up in the printer folder (as my default printer no less) and a test page came out perfectly.

Thank you again.

--mcz

PS: Next headache:migrating my Thunderbird e-mail profile into Windows 7.

Ask a Question