laptop not charging

Reaction score
i hope im not ****ed..

i noticed my laptop waas not charging. my roomate has the same laptop(kinda) as me and we sometimes switch chargers since i checked the stickers on the chargers and they say the exact same thing. HP Pavillion DV6, his laptop is just a little better and has bigger screen.
so i put his charger in my laptop thinking i had to buy a new charger. it still didnt work, but it works on his.
i googled it and i got something along the lines of, shut down, battery out, plug in, startup, logon, shut down, battery in, startup and it should be fine. but it doesnt work still.
please help. and thxxxxxxxxxx you so much if someone can help.

aslo the battery icon doesnt show tthat it is charging. it just keeps depleting. hasnt died yet. i have it off but its at around 20%

and it doesnt charge even if the battery is out and its plugged in

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Apparently HP is having some issues with the batteries in these model of notebook computers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...n-DV6-1330CA-Internal-battery-HELP/m-p/491701

You didn't list the suffix of your model, so maybe this doesn't even apply to you though.

Is it still under warranty? If so, is it convenient to take it back to where you bought it and have it tested?

Is there a computer store or a BatteriesPlus store near where you live, if so then you can have the both the charger and the battery tested. More than likely the battery has gone kaput on you.

HP notebooks are notorious for service issues in the first 2-3 years of ownership. Usually around a 30% repair / failure rate. THAT IS NOT GOOD!

Having sold notebook computers in the past and also cellphones what I have noticed is that a lot of users abuse the batteries and then when the battery goes phffffttt, they blame the maker of the computer or cellphone.
(I am not insinuating this is what you have done... just what I have observed in the past.)

Too many times people will discharge the battery about 1/4 to 1/2 the way down and then recharge them. This is very bad for batteries even if they're Lithium Ion batteries. With new batteries it's always best to charge them fully and use them until they're almost completely drained for three full cycles. Regardless of the type of battery this is always a good practice.

For notebooks, about once a month or so after the initial use, charge it up fully and the disconnect the charger and run it on battery until nearly dead, then charge back up again. This freshens the battery and extends it's life.

My little diatribe aside... I hope you get your issue resolved quickly! Keep us posted.

Reaction score
well it doesnt even turn on when the battery is out and its plugged in. does that still mean its the battery?
i got this dv6 6months ago and ever since then i have always let it power to 100% then let it drain, the last thing i wanted was a messed up battery. if my problem is the batt i guess all my plugging in and out was in vain lol

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a charger issue then. That's why I recommend you take both the computer with battery and charger to where you can get them tested.

If both battery and charger are good, then it's an internal issue with the notebook.

Did you try your charger on your roommate's computer to see if that was the issue? Just be sure the output DC voltage is the same and also the amperage.

If you move your notebook around a lot with the power cord plugged in, you may have affected the plug-in connection by stressing it.

Have you tried swapping batteries also with your roommate's computer?

Ask a Question