Kinect for Windows?

Reaction score
Hey guys, anybody here planning to purchase the new Kinect for Windows? I have it for my Xbox 360, and I think it's great. I can barely imagine the myriad uses developers will find for it now that it can actually be used within the operating system. I imagine it's not just games.

Reaction score
I'm waiting to here if you'll be able to use it to login to Windows 8 first. It' would be nice to just have it recognize the user's face's instead of needing to enter a password. Also, more games need to use it first also, along with software, too. I also wonder if it has the voice capabilities like they just added to the recent Xbox 360 dashboard update. That would be great, because you could use it for Windows Speech Recognition.There's also the unknown of how secure it is. Trust me, someone will more than likely figure a way to somehow hack into to take control of your pc. There's still alot of what if's about Windows 8 For instance: How many version's are there going to be ? Is BitLocker going to be in all versions ? Are all versions going to be able to backup to a network ? It's also better to wait until November/Decmber to get it during Christmas sales. Also. right now there really isn't a reason to get it yet. What software other than Windows currently work's with it ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really in no hurry to buy one, but I was just curious to see what other people thought of it. Obviously it's still early, and the merit of it needs to be proven with software that can show what it can do. I wish it was as simple as just taking my Xbox 360 Kinect and plugging it into my PC, but I guess unless you're willing to do some hacking, it's not very straightforward. It would be interesting if a lot of applications could be created to exploit Kinect on the PC, but then at the same time I wonder if people who were trying to decide if they should get an Xbox for the same reason would change their minds.

Reaction score
Personally, if the various software companies make their software work with it. Then, I'm interested in getting one. Especially, as I don't ever see myself wasting any money on a touch-screen that you have to clean the screen 15+ times a day to get fingerprints and smudges off of it. No thank you. On my opinion the Kinect for Windows is a more viable device, if Microsoft does it right.
Make it work for replacing a password at login with a look at the Kinect. That in itself is a better security option. Take that a few steps further and make that also work with the various Live services and Office. Then you get the various software maker's to follow suit on any password protected software.

Ask a Question