Keyboard not working

Reaction score
Sorry that I can't type much...problem's with the keyboard. I have to use the on-screen one because my keyboard is screwy. Instead of typing a and s, for instance, it shows az1q and sx2w...wtf?

Please tell what to do to fix this. System Restore is not an option since no restore point fixed the issue.

Please help ASAP because this is finals week for me. :(

Reaction score
So someone's reading the thread. Care to give some input? Since you're here to delete a duplicate at a time I need help the most after all.

Reaction score
Try going into Safe Mode by restarting your pc. As it's restarting press the F8 key and use the down arrow to select Safe Mode. Does the keyboard work properly in Safe Mode ?If not try opening Device Manager by typing dev in the Start Menu's search box Click where it say Keyboard in Device Manager and right-click on your Keyboard and select uninstall and restart your pc. When you get to the logon screen don't try to logon, instead with your mouse click on the red thing in the lower right corner's up arrow and click on restart computer. Now go back into Safe Mode, Windows should reinstall your keyboard drivers in Safe Mode while your antivirus isn't running. If it doesn't re-open Device Manager , expand any of the hardware items, click on Action and then click on Scsan For Hardware Changes. That definitely will reinstall the driver. If you have an after market i/e: Logitech, etc., you may need updated drivers for it. If it's a wireless keyboard try re-syncing it or replacing it's batteries. Also make sure it's PS2 plug or USB 2.0 plug is fully plugged in. For PS2 keyboards/mice make sure your pc is turned off before messing with it's cables. It also could just be that you need a new keyboard. I believe Walmart has them for aroung $15.00 or so. Radio Shack has keyboards also. Try scanning for malware in Safe Mode. Do a full scan in Safe Mode to be sure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a special keyboard? ie did it come with its' own drivers or does it use the default? If it came with drivers then try deleting and reinstalling them.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Check device manager to see if the Keyboard is listed and working. Is it a USB, BT, wired, ???? keyboard.

CAn we get your system specs so we know what hardware we are dealing with?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds as if the membrane underneath the keys is shot, no longer working properly.

Probably time to buy another keyboard.

Reaction score
I had a similar one back in 2006 when I was using XP the same thing happened, with the exception the keyboard after logging in wouldn't work at all in XP. When Vista came out and I clean installed it, the same keyboard worked perfectly and still does.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Like Nibs said, keyboards do go bad. Is this your laptop keyboard?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
IF it is a notebook computer keyboard issue, a new one may be installed fairly easily.

They're not too expensive and may be found on eBay for a decent price.

Ask a Question