Keyboard not responding on boot

Reaction score
Hello there,

Happy owner of a laptop Toshiba satellite 505 with enhanced keyboard acquired 2 months ago with W7 64 bits, no problem till today as the keyboard is not responding anymore after I boot !!
I have to use the on-screen board!

On the boot sequence, the numlock key lights briefly but none of the key are active after!!

in device manager; I can see 2 problems in :
Keyboard
- HID Keyboard Drive
- Standard PS/2 Keyboard
and
Mice and other pointing devices
- Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

the connected mouse is working fine but no the internal one using the pad;

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
The problem is probably your USB ports. Check in your control panel and see if the are not having problems. If you don't see any errors there, righ click the first USB port and choose update. That should resolve it. I had the same thing happen trying to use a thumb drive. It worked for a long time then one day, ( I think after an update) it quit.

-Jazmac

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Or unplug the keyboard boot the PC then close down plug in the keyboard and boot (keyboard will be seen as new hardware)

Reaction score
Hi Jazmac

when I wrote enhanced keyboard I meant internal with numeric pad, no problem with the USB ports and all updated...with no changes = keyboard totally inactive.

Reaction score
Hi Jazmac

when I wrote enhanced keyboard I meant internal with numeric pad, no problem with the USB ports and all updated...with no changes = keyboard totally inactive.
Sorry, I read too quickly. Update the keyboard in the same way I said to update the usb ports. Let me know if that clears it up.

BTW, have you installed something recently? Are you running Windows in enhanced mode for handicapped users?

-Jazmac

Reaction score
I did exactly the same for the keyboard but it says already updated although the line is still in yellow triangle in the device manager! no new instllation has been made since.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I did exactly the same for the keyboard but it says already updated although the line is still in yellow triangle in the device manager! no new instllation has been made since.
Try reinstalling the keyboard.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I think everyone, except the original poster, is forgetting that this is a LAPTOP!

What's the full model number? Have you installed all the proper drivers from Toshiba's website?

When you say "enhanced keyboard" do you mean the backlit keyboard?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I can remember an acquaintance who I was helping, experienced this problem on a Toshiba.. Assuming there is not a loose connection inside (You get a light up on the num pad, so I doubt that) there was a combination of keys to turn the keyboard , which would include the pad, on and off. I am sorry I cannot be of great help, but I can recall it was Fn and one of the F keys. Maybe you have a handbook or similar?

As it is a laptop, you can discount USB failure.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Sobi44, I think we need some clarification. Does the keybaord work at all before windows loads? Or is it just the NumPad that doesn't work? Because if the keyboard doesn't work during boot then it is not a Windows issue and can't be fixed from within Windows..

Reaction score
problem solved

after a restore, keyboard and mouse pad are totally operationnal!

thanks everybody for your help!!

Ask a Question