SOLVED Just want to import email addresses.

Reaction score
Nothing else, use stand alone Windows Live mail on both XP & 7. Where to find the address book folder to transfer all my contacts across.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are you wanting to import or export or merely backup? The link will only show you how to backup.
WLM stores everything (mail, contacts, accounts, ... ) in
c:\users\YourName\AppData\Local\Microsoft/Windows Live Mail (This is a hidden
folder).
You can relocate this folder from within WLM following Extra -> Options
-> Advanced -> Maintainance -> Store folder -> Change to make it more accessible.
The actual contacts directory is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{ab077f8a-8482-47ba-b7f6-6e088299b553}\DBStore . There you will see a .db file, which is the contacts.

But perhaps this is what you are looking for.
In Live Mail, click the Contacts (bottom left in the nav window). This will bring up a new top menu bar, which includes "Import" and "Export"

Reaction score
Not backup Dave. I just want to have a copy of my contacts and msgs in Live mail in 7 the same as in Live mail in XP

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Long time since I looked at XP, but I guess you need a kind of text file showing the contacts.
You can use the method I described, and export the contacts as a .csv (Excel, or spreadshhet format) This can be easily read, but not so neat as a text file.
You can also choose to export as a business card. This might suit you more. Make a directory and choose the export - .vcf option. If you then click any of the list, it will open with the full contents.
The messages can be exported to an empty folder from the normal drop down export email facility. Alternatively, these are already in the mailbox. You can go to your account there and copy drag and paste.
Tip. I have always found it a good idea to open a Folder (Call it MailBox?) somewhere quite separate for "Live". When I set up the Advanced options in a new account, I popint to this folder.

Later. Of course, you are aware that you have a "contacts" folder under your username. But this is NOT the folder used by Windows Live Mail. You can, however, drag and drop your present XP contact list into here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got it sorted, thanks guys. Following the directions from the link that T/M supplied did the trick.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry for the verbalise. I think I misunderstood your intention, from the thread title.
But I see the link is about 2 years old. Which release are you using? I thought I knew my way around Live mail, to a limited extent, but, for example, I cannot for the life of me find a path such as
Tools/Accounts/<select and account>/Export

Could you enlighten me.

Ok Forget it. I suppose yopu are using your browser for your email? I was referring to the desktop standalone.

Reaction score
Dave, I do have Desktop standalone on with both O/S's. My XP one is an earlier version and the 7 one the most up to date and a little more cluttered imho but does have a few nice features.
I don't use my browser for mail at all except for the occasional hotmail.

My XP mail saved the folders exactly as the link described. 7's live mail took a bit more fiddling to get it to import them but it all worked.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And where was that path in Live mail Or maybe not!?

Reaction score
I'll have to jump back into XP to find it again. In 7 It was just using the import button from the drop down menu in the very top of the left side of the window.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OIk. I,ll drop out of this thread. Bit of conversation, mostly from me, at cross purposes. I just looked on one of my grandchildrens XP computers and I can see that, in the older version of Live Mail, you do have that "file - export" live mail 2011 does not, as you obviously know. I had misunderstood that your problem was with live mail. Windows 7.
" just want to have a copy of my contacts and msgs in Live mail in 7 the same as in Live mail in XP "

Last edited:

Ask a Question