SOLVED Issues with Firefox or maybe O/S. Part 2

Reaction score
Taken together with my other posting about FF not saving passwords I'm wondering if FF alone is the problem or there is something changed in settings somewhere in my O/S.

This new problem has just started occurring.

When I go to the site to log in to my webmail for my emails for work I get these following pop-ups.

It never used to happen and although by working through the steps I can log in to my webmail account you will notice that the box to click to "permanently store this exception" is shaded. So again FF is not allowing me to store anything, same as with the passwords.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What add-in's are the little gray & blue icons in the bottom right corner of your FF window? This is likely a security add-in and maybe not a very good one?

I would also run a malware scan.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
This is because the connection is secure. The URL starts with https://

The server you are login into doesn't seem to have a certificate to prove that it is actually secure. Probably a change in the server config, as I also get the warning in IE.

Trainableman, this isn't caused by an addon. Try the URL in IE : webmail.mas.vic.gov.au

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah FC is right, those certificates are bad at that site.

But I'm still curious what the two add-ins are in the bottom right of your Firefox; they aren't involved in this issue but it's still possible they affect password storing. Or it could be your security settings.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The circle is "Wot" (Safe browsing tool)
The second may be "Xmarks" ( bookmark dbase)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A feature of Xmarks MAY be causing your password problem somehow. I don't use it myself so I can't be sure but disabling or removing it may be worth a shot to see it this is causing your password issue.

Quoted from XMarks info ...

Secure Password Sync
Xmarks can securely sync your passwords across all your computers

Secure Password Sync is an optional feature that lets you keep your saved passwords in sync between your computers. Save your passwords at work and have them automatically available on your computer when you get home!
Our Password Sync feature is only available in Firefox 3.

How it works
Password Synchronization works silently in the background to make sure that your passwords are the same on all your computers. If you add, remove or update a password on one computer, Xmarks will make sure that your change will automatically be made on all your other computers as well. It works in a similar manner to bookmark synchronization with two major differences:

1. Password Synchronization is completely optional and is turned off by default. Xmarks will ignore your passwords until you decide to synchronize them.
  2. Password Sycnhronization encrypts your passwords using a secret PIN of your choosing before they ever leave your computer. This ensures that nobody but you, not even Xmarks, can gain access to your passwords. You can learn more about encrption and security below

Reaction score
Yes, it's Xmarks but I've always had it installed long before this problem started so it's not that. The other icon is Firefox Sync and new add-on I'm trying to get to save the passwords but it's also not doing anything.
The MAS webmail address is also one I've used for yrs and only now started popping up with that new message when I go to it.

I think this is all somehow tied in with my not being able to access Carbonite, store passwords (it's not even asking to store them, which it used to do)) & not letting me store my choice for the security exception.

It's gotta be a setting somewhere from when I did my XP re-install but what??????
Or it's something sneaky the MSE is doing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Still along the same lines now I can no longer add new contacts from the email they sent me. Previously (with their email open) I could go tools > Add contact > sender.

Now the sender is not highlighted to enable being added.

I run malwarebytes and MSE,no idea what's happening here but pretty sure it's not a virus. I'm going to try uninstalling MSE to see what happens.

Update. tried with MSE uninstalled, made no difference to anything.
This is really beginning to P--S me off, it's one of my biggest complaints with Microsoft O/S how one day all can be fine and the next for no readily apparent reason and with nothing altered things just stop working. Never had this with Linux or MAC O/S

Update #2. Tried it with Xmarks removed and using another sync add-on called Firefox Sync.. Same deal, not remembering passwords on anything new. All the old ones saved over the years are there and auto filling in as they should.

Same problem occurring on another completely different PC so maybe a FF issue , though that would not explain my not being able to add addresses from received emails.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look at them. This morning FF just refused to load, at all, had to delete it to re-install but before I could shut down also had to delete MSE as it would not close. PC had been left running overnight.
When I went to bed last night everything was fine (except for login saving) go to Pc this morning and it's gone to hell.. SOO over this.
Anyway re-installed FF, working again but Still not saving login details. Still getting that warning when I go to the MAS webmail site .

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the MAS problem you should notify their site administrator as he would need to fix it. FF hung for me today too; when it happens I can usually kill it with task manager or process explorer but today I just rebooted. Usually my computer runs for 3 to 7 days w/o a reboot.

Reaction score
TM if your were a woman I'd kiss you. That fixed everything. I was already in Custom settings/remember Hx etc but had not noticed the "automatically start in private browesing button ticked". Must be something it does now by default with install/upgrade.
It still asked for the security exception for the MAS webmail but this time allowed me to save my choice. Luv ya Luv ya luv ya. hahahha

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I were a woman I would need a different nickname ... of course this is the internet so I suppose you never know :p

Ask a Question