SOLVED Is CA Internet Security Suite 2010 any good?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This morning, I was checking my Road Runner account, and there was free offer for me, CA Internet Security Suite 2010. Does anyone know if it's any good or not? I'd like to hear any opinions on it. If it's any good, I'll try it out on Vista to verify, but if it's no good, I don't want to waste my time with it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cat

Reaction score
I use to have the CA 2007 suite when I first singed up with road runner. For me it seemed bloated and used a lot of system resources just to maintain itself in the background like Norton did. If I remember correctly the firewall had a lot of issues with it as well. It wouldn't place nice with some software and I finally had to dump it. As for the new version I've not heard any thing about it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have heard "some" disparaging reviews about CA, but can't remember where they're located.

I'll keep looking.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for your time, bassfisher. I have a total of 11 Windows installs, and don't want to fool with installing a new one each year. Plus, I like the Windows Firewall that's included with the OS, I've had it for years with no problems. It seems that when someone offers something for free, it's more of a headache than it's worth. Even if those statements that those users in that link are true, you have no way to validate them.

The main thing is, keeping up with all of the installs of the product, it would be very time consuming, and most likely, some of the bloatware still exists. Thank you for your input. This thread is marked solved.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have heard "some" disparaging reviews about CA, but can't remember where they're located.

I'll keep looking.
Thanks Nibiru, bassfisher confirmed what you have heard. I'm not fooling with a product that you have to reinstall year after year. With 11 Windows installs, I don't have the time to be worried with it. Thanks.

PS: Plus, the product isn't even listed on AV Comparatives home page. That should be enough to tell the story.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I used the retail box version about 4 years ago. I was unimpressed then and I won't take advantage of RR's offer now.

Testing it on a Vista machine may tell you a lot. (Both being considered resource hogs).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
PS: Plus, the product isn't even listed on AV Comparatives home page. That should be enough to tell the story.
There ya go! My young Padawan, you're learning well. May the Force be with you! ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I used the retail box version about 4 years ago. I was unimpressed then and I won't take advantage of RR's offer now.

Testing it on a Vista machine may tell you a lot. (Both being considered resource hogs).
Vista is a resource hog, no doubt. But the OS looks better on my notebook than 7 does (Vista was released a year after it was built). It has a clean, clear screen, and it's on it's first folding job, actually, it's just finished it. It's not really a bad OS for an older notebook like that (Latitude D610). A very heavy OS, yet it looks better than XP, and is probably more secure, too. Appearance counts for something.

But, I installed the 64 bit version on my desktop, and it's dirt slow for an 64 bit system that's running on 4GB of RAM. The install on my notebook (32 bit with 2GB RAM) performs much better. What I really wanted was to install XP on it, but the drive is too large, and even with SP3 on the disc and a 60GB partition made for it, I couldn't do it.
When I get the parts for my future upgrade (which will run up to five eSATA devices), I'll also purchase a small IDE drive (around 120GB) to install XP on, along with a case that has an eSATA fitting. I was first told to get a SATA drive, but I noticed the initial files going by on installing (before making install selections), and no SATA controllers passed by, all were IDE ones. A SATA drive may not work, I don't know. But I know that an IDE one will.

As far as the internet security suite goes, it's rubbish, and I deleted it from my email box. I don't want (or need) anymore dead weight around here. Thanks to all who has responded to my post.

Cat

Reaction score
Ca When it was VET antivirus was good. Once they merged/took over/ bought out, whatever and became CA it was rubbish.. I'd used VET for many yrs and was perfectly happy with it. CA lasted me 6 months.

Ask a Question