Is 32 bit compatible with 64 bit??

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here! OK, I have 3 computers in my home. 2 of them runWindows7- 64 bit, the third runs WindowsXP. I want to add the 3rd one to my home network but have to ask...I have Windows7- 32 bit. Is it compatible with the 64 bit? Also, is it possible to upgrade from Win XP to Win7?

Reaction score
Yes to all your questions, with the exception that the upgrade route from XP to 7 will require a fresh install. But yes you can use the Windows 7 Upgrade media to install Windows 7.

I would like to ask, why are you selecting to install the 32-bit version on the third PC?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Keep in mind though that 64 bit requirements are a bit higher than 32 bit. So check those as well. Compatibility otherwise is not an issue. It just depends on which one you want to install to your computer. 32 bit or 64 bit.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What are the specs of the third PC? As it is running XP, I assume it is possible a little older and maybe not 64Bit capable? As Cliff says, you cannot do an direct upgrade to 7, only a fresh install..
But, the answer to your question, on a lan you have no problems with compatibility 64/32Bit.

Ask a Question