SOLVED Internet Explorer 9 will not load some web pages

Reaction score
I have IE9 that will not load some web pages, very solw load on others and some load quickly. I tried "reset" with no solution. Closing and reopen has no solution. This is a new install of WIN7 Pro. I believe this started shortly after first open of IE9, I think remembering first open may have had fast load.

Note Fire fox does not have this problem; all ways has a fast load.

Solutions comments welcome

Thanks

Reaction score
If Fire fox works,just use it and quit Internet Explorer.
I personally likes Opera than Fire fox and IE

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If Fire fox works,just use it and quit Internet Explorer.
I personally likes Opera than Fire fox and IE
That's actually not good advice. Why? Because it does nothing to help identify or fix the problem - which if left unidentified and alone, may result in other, more serious issues.

I happen to prefer IE9, in part because it is fast, but also because it (and IE8) consistently rate excellent (typically at or near the top) in terms of security.

That said (to avoid another browser war here) it does not matter which browser you set as your default - as long as you keep your computer fully updated, use a decent anti-malware solution and firewall (I use MSE and Windows Firewall) and you avoid risky behavior like illegal filesharing. However, because IE is so closely tied to Windows, and used by Windows for things like Windows Update, it should be working properly.

@krazykat - Have you scanned for malware?

Note there will always be some sites that work better with this browser and not that browser. And other sites that work better with that browser and not this one. Perhaps if you gave us some example we can check out, that would help.

You said this is a new install. How new? You said you reset IE. That is good as most IE issues are due to corrupt or misbehaving add-ons. I might suggest you do that again, if not recently since or run IE without addons from the Start menu.

Reaction score
August 26, 2010
Digerati,.
Thanks for your comments. I agree that the very heavy integration if IE into the Windows operating system make it imperative that IE work properly ( I do not agree that IE HAS to be heavily integrated into Windows, but Microsoft made that decision for us many years ago in the first Netscape/ IE browser wars).
Any way, here are answers to your questions, results of my troubleshooting, and questions for the nest steps.
Have you scanned for malware?
Yes, using the built in WIN 7 Pro,software, with none found. See answers below for additional information
You said this is a new install. How new?
First time install of WIN 7, PRO to a new, out of the box, hard drive. No other software installed, Started hard drive configuration with IE9 and Firefox. IE9 had the “SLOW LOAD” problem, so I reverted to IE8 as first troubleshooting step. Discovered IE8 had same problem. By the way, big shock when I tried to delete IE8 so I could go to IE7. Can’t be done, thanks to the infinite wisdom (oxymoron) of Microsoft
“………..run IE without addons from the Start menu”
Went to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Internet Explorer (No Addons). IE8 started and loaded in a flash to the site ithad a problem loading before (http://xfinity.comcast.net!! Not as fast as Firefox, about 20-30 seconds,, my guess would be about 70%, but certainly not the 10 to 12 minutes as before.
Obvious next step was to look at the ADDONs. Since this was a “fresh, new “ install there were only 3 items in the TOOL Bar section:
Adobe Shockwave Flash Object Ver. 11.4.402.265
MicroSoft XLM Document Ver. 8.110.7601.17857
MicroSoft XLM Document 3.0 Ver. 8.110.7601.17857
I disabled the Adobe (only) addon. Closed IE, and re-opened using icon click ( to enable addons). IE opened with the same speed as addons Disabled.
As a test, I enabled the Adobe addon, closed IE, reopened using icon click. IE opened to the SLOW, 10 to 12 minute, display. So that isolates problem to the Adobe Shockwave Flash Object.
I have disabled the Adobe add on (fast load returns) but not removed.
Now, my questions:
1. Does WIN 7 come out of the box with Adobe Shockwave Flash Object ?
2. Any history of problems with this version of Adobe Shockwave Flash Object? I did some Googleing and fons similar problems with IE9 and a different ver of Adobe Shockwave Flash Object
3. What are the correct next steps? Should I remove Adobe Shockwave Flash Object and download again, maybe get a newer version. Will that make any difference? As stated above, with the tight intergration of IE and WIN 7 OS, I really do not want to be “experimenting” and really hose up IE7!! My goal is to go back to IE9, but not until/if I know IE9 will not have the same problem.

Suggestions and solutions welcome
Thanks,

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I agree that the very heavy integration if IE into the Windows operating system make it imperative that IE work properly ( I do not agree that IE HAS to be heavily integrated into Windows, but Microsoft made that decision for us many years ago
Actually, that is not true anymore. It is integrated into Windows, but nothing like it used to be. In fact, in Europe, you can buy Windows 7 without IE.

Have you scanned for malware?
Yes, using the built in WIN 7 Pro,software
Well, there's a problem. Windows 7 (regardless of version) does NOT have built in anti-malware software! So I don't know what you are using. It does have Windows Defender, but that is an anti-spyware product, and does not protect you from other types of malware (viruses, Trojans, worms, etc.).

By the way, big shock when I tried to delete IE8 so I could go to IE7. Can’t be done, thanks to the infinite wisdom (oxymoron) of Microsoft
I am all for bashing, when bashing is due. But I am not for unfounded bashing.

Why should Microsoft provide you a means of reverting back to a two-generation old browser that is long obsolete? They shouldn't! So I would suggest keeping biases out when they clearly are unfounded, as they are here.

Adobe products are notorious for causing problems, and not just with IE. Chrome users too, less so with FF, but they are not immune either. And Adobe is notorious for blaming everybody else. That is one reason I do not use Adobe Reader, but Foxit instead. Unfortunately, there is no suitable alternative for Flash.

After you installed Windows, did you run Windows Update to get it fully updated before surfing the net?

How does this page look?

Reaction score
August 27
Digerati,
Thanks for the reply. We could have a good discussion about Microsoft, but this is really not the forum. As far as “bashing” goes, you put a pretty good lick on Adobe.
Let’s concentrate on my WIN 7 problems.

Windows 7 (regardless of version) does NOT have built in anti-malware software! So I don't know what you are using. It does have Windows Defender, but that is an anti-spyware product, and does not protect you from other types of malware (viruses, Trojans, worms, etc.).
My oversight, yes I did use Windows defender and Webroot Secure Anywhere which is a real time complete anti-malware software. No infections were found.

How does this page look?
Displayed the page both with and with out the Adobe flash enabled. With out Adobe flash enabled the page displayed quickly with no problems, and with Adobe flash enabled the response was SLOW, but there was no problem with page display,. Not sure if quality of display was supposed to be an issue.

Content of the Adobe page suggests that I need to delete my version 11.4 and replace with version 11.6 either 32 bit or 64 bit. Adobe page says either one is OK. Is that the correct “fix” for my IE8/9 problem” ? Do you have any information about the stability of Ver. 11.6 with IE8 and IE9? Interesting that Adobe talks about ver 11.0, 11.5 and 11.6 but is silent about ver 11.4
My goal is to upgrade to IE9. Assuming ver 11.6 is stable/compatible with IE8 will following the upgrade to IE9 transfer ver 11.6 to IE9?
After you installed Windows, did you run Windows Update to get it fully updated before surfing the net
No, the install disk I used included SP1, but I have completed an update.
Look forward to your reply. Thanks for your support!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am just saying, bash, if due. Your "bashing" comment about "infinite wisdom (oxymoron) of Microsoft" was not - because again, it makes no sense for Windows 7 to have in its code, a method to revert back to an obsolete (and less secure) browser that is 2 generations out of date.

Yes, I slammed Adobe because Adobe products DO often (and frustratingly, have for years) cause problems with IE and other browsing applications and because Adobe products, as seen again this week in the most recent US Dept of Homeland Security, US-CERT Bulletin (I recommend everyone subscribe to this) are constantly being reported with newly discovered vulnerabilities.

If me, I would follow the instructions to totally remove Flash. Reboot to ensure all settings are set, then reinstall as noted here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Flash is made by Adobe, not Microsoft. It is an add-on you chose to install and therefore Microsoft has little control over how well it works. As Digerati mentioned, new weaknesses come out for flash almost every week so it is constantly being updated. I personally have issues with flash in Firefox and have had to downgrade to an older, less secure version, which runs more stable on my system, while, for me, IE runs fine with the latest version. I suggest you try the latest 11.4 version and if it is not working on your system then try uninstalling and download 11.2 (there are numerous websites that store older versions).

Personally, I may try 11.4 in my firefox because I know it was 11.3 it had problems with.

Microsoft's alternative to Flash would be Silverlight but unfortunately they came a little late to the party, and most (non-Microsoft) websites are coded to use flash, not silverlight, although some offer both.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Microsoft's alternative to Flash would be Silverlight but unfortunately they came a little late to the party, and most (non-Microsoft) websites are coded to use flash, not silverlight, although some offer both.
Yeah, many years late - though much of that was due to Adobe suing and tying up in court, anyone who even thought of offering a competing alternative. Now, as you noted, most sites are coded to use Adobe - leaving us consumers with little to no recourse - we are stuck with Adobe Flash. :(

Reaction score
Hi,
Couple of questions

1 .What is the difference between "Adobe Shockwave Flash Object", "Adobe Shockwave player" and "Adobe Flash Player"? I ask this because my IE8, Tools>Manage Add-On's says I have "Shockwave Flash Object version 11.4.402.265" installed.

I go to the Windows compatibility page ( the link by the name "how does this page look by Digerati on Aug 27) and the compatibility page says "Adobe Shockwave Player" latest version is 11.6.

I go to the Adobe Flash Player help page (the linkby the name "then reinstall as noted here" by Digerati on Aug28) says "Adobe Flash Player" latest vrsion is 11.4.402.265.

Both IE8 and IE9 do not work properly with "Adobe Shockwave Flash Object 11.4.402.465 (See question #2 foe IE9). What Adobe "name and version should I change/Upgrade to?

2. As I mentioned in my last post, I went to update.microsoft.com to update my WIN7 PRO. Automatic updates has been running since my OS install, (about 9 days ago) and I was current on all "recommended" updated. There were 3 "suggested" updates; printer driver for my printer, a .net update and one other that I do not remember
the exact name, but it was not associated with IE9. I checked the updates to be installed. They were installed and I received the message that a restart was required to finish the install, which I did. Re-start went OK, Actually there appeared to be 2 restarts, but no problems. Ended up at desktop.
My question/issue. I started IE and was greated with the message " Your browser has been upgraded to IE9". I checked "about IE" and verfied IE9 was running. WHY? I did not request the IE upgrade, there was no request from Microsoft to upgrade and I did not give permission to upgrade. Is this normal behaviour for WIN7?
Not any real harm, since I was planning to upgrade, just curious.
Also, as mentioned in my question 1, "Adobe Shockwave Flash Object" ver 11.4.402.265 is also incompatible with the upgraded IE9.

Thanks,

Reaction score
HI Digerati

Couple of days ago I posted some questions about Adobe flash and Adobe shockwave.

Have you had a chance to review?

Thanks

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry. Life got in my way. Do remember that Bing Google is your friend.

The difference between Flash and Shockwave Players and Flash Object.

I am really at a loss to fixing your problems. It seems there have been several folks with similar problems and the solutions each time is totally uninstalling Flash and or Shockwave, then reinstalling with the latest versions.

Did you try Microsoft Fix it?

Reaction score
DIgerati

Thanks for your reply. I think I may have solved my problem. I went to the Adobe web site and down loaded and ran the Flash Player uninstall program. Note Adobe said the program was to remove Flash Player, but it also removed the Adobe Active X program. May be the two are linked?.
I reinstalled, from the Adobe site, the same version (11.4.402.265, most recent) version of Adobe Flash Player that I had just removed.
Started IE9 and went to my email web site (Xfinity.comcast.net) with no delay!!. Strange, WIN 7 must have somehow been confused. I will continue to monitor IE9 to see if the problen re-appears on subsequent starts and from a complete power up reboot.
But for now, the problem appears to be solved. If it returns I will post and we con continue to trouble shoot.

THANKS again for your help and suggestions!!!!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good, I am glad it seems to be sorted out and thanks for the followup.

Reaction score
Adobe Shockwave Flash Object is the Problem

I updated Adobe Shockwave Flash Object and that solved the IE9 page loading problem. Wish there was some way to avoid using any Adobe product. They are junk. I replaced Adobe Reader with Foxit Reader some time ago and it works great and the functionality offered is wonderful.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Wish there was some way to avoid using any Adobe product. They are junk. I replaced Adobe Reader with Foxit Reader
Well, I am not sure I would call them junk, but they certainly do have problems, and unfortunately, Adobe products do tend to have a LOT of security issues.

I note Kaspersky released their 2012 third quarter report of the top ten vulnerabilities here.

There were two points noted that I thought was very interesting. (1) 5 of the 10 vulnerabilities were with Adobe products and (2) No Microsoft product made the list, a point Kaspersky felt necessary to point out when they concluded the report by saying,
Microsoft products no longer feature among the Top 10 products with vulnerabilities. This is because the automatic updates mechanism has now been well developed in recent versions of Windows OS.
It clearly illustrates how important keeping our systems current is.

Ask a Question