Installed Symantec LiveUpdate AntiVirus, but...

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently Installed Windows 7 in my system, and then Symantec LiveUpdate AntiVirus, but I think it is not active.

I have never seen Symantec AntiVirus icon on Task bar, or When I right click on the folder, I never got Scan for Viruses... menu item in the context menu.

What is the problem? Do I need to do any settings to activate this?

Advance thanks,
Ashok kumar.

Reaction score
An easy way to tell if you have active Anti-Virus software installed is to take a look on the far right of your taskbar there should be a white flag.If the flag has an X inside it, click on it and see what your system notifications are. If not having an Anti-virus installed is one of them I advise you to install one promptly. Then you might look in your add or remove programs to see if you can see if its installed ( goto click on your start button then in the search type "add or remove" without the "" and press enter. Another thing you may try, is type "Symantec AntiVirus" with out the "" into your search bar after clicking on the Start Button and see if your anti virus program is listed in the results, if it is click on it and there should be a GUI you can navigate through and find an option for scanning your system.

Also you may want to consider your looking in the wrong place, in Windows 7 the icon would not be on the taskbar directly but rather on the far right of your task bar there should be an white triangle if I recall correctly ( I don't really use Windows very much ) once you click on it you will see the icons.

Also does your Anti-Virus ever try to "update"?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Too, when you bring your curser (pointer) to that white flag, if you don't an AV installed, the message "Solve PC issues" will be there. Click onto it, you will see a message in the Action Center. You have Security and Maintenance. If no AV is installed, there will be red markings next to Security. Another possibility here, did you download the initial file only, without installing? If so, go to Username> Downloads> AV Program> Open, then it will install, and update. Some AV programs require entering a license key to activate. I hope you get it running soon, no AV is like riding down an icy road, it's dangerous. Welcome to the forums, kak.mca! Post back and let us know if you need anymore help.

Reaction score
Yep make very certian you have security software installed and are updating and using it properly or you will end up like my friend Jimmy, I have to fix his computer like every 3 months because of a "black screen" after he logs or some other off the wall problem, and he can only boot into safe mode ( I taught him that :) ). I scan with Malwarebytes and usually he has over 50 infections *sigh...

Reaction score
LOL no, I think 8 people or more use the laptop ( party in otherwords ) and all they do is play games ( online and downloaded ) and I think some of them watch questionable stuff :D Not a good combination when none of them care about their security in the least. Whats worse I think they actrully make online purchases all the time with all that spyware piled up. Me and him are very different people, I like to study and learn and he likes to party and not scan for viruses

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats funny :lol: Anyway back on topic

Hi kak.mca - Welcome to w7forums

I agree with everyone here. If the action center doesn't report a virus scanner being active then somethings wrong.

Which version of Symantec are you installing?

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply. As per your suggestion:
I searched in Add or Remove Programs. I cannot see that it is installed.
I typed Symantec as shown in the attachment, then it is coming in the Control Panel section. But it is .exe file (i guess), why becuase it is showing install window when I click on that.

So, at last I have concluded that Symantec LiveUpdate has not been installed in my sysetm. I am sure that Symantec LiveUpdate is compatible with Windows 7. Then why it is not installing? What is the problem?

Thanks once again for your reply.

Regards,
Ashok kumar,

An easy way to tell if you have active Anti-Virus software installed is to take a look on the far right of your taskbar there should be a white flag.If the flag has an X inside it, click on it and see what your system notifications are. If not having an Anti-virus installed is one of them I advise you to install one promptly. Then you might look in your add or remove programs to see if you can see if its installed ( goto click on your start button then in the search type "add or remove" without the "" and press enter. Another thing you may try, is type "Symantec AntiVirus" with out the "" into your search bar after clicking on the Start Button and see if your anti virus program is listed in the results, if it is click on it and there should be a GUI you can navigate through and find an option for scanning your system.

Also you may want to consider your looking in the wrong place, in Windows 7 the icon would not be on the taskbar directly but rather on the far right of your task bar there should be an white triangle if I recall correctly ( I don't really use Windows very much ) once you click on it you will see the icons.

Also does your Anti-Virus ever try to "update"?

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your reply.

At last I have concluded that Anti Virus is not got installed in my sysem. Buit I have installed it. Now, how can I make it Active. I have seen in the net that Symantec LiveUpdate is compatible with windows 7
Any suggestions, please...

Regards,
Ashok kumar.

Too, when you bring your curser (pointer) to that white flag, if you don't an AV installed, the message "Solve PC issues" will be there. Click onto it, you will see a message in the Action Center. You have Security and Maintenance. If no AV is installed, there will be red markings next to Security. Another possibility here, did you download the initial file only, without installing? If so, go to Username> Downloads> AV Program> Open, then it will install, and update. Some AV programs require entering a license key to activate. I hope you get it running soon, no AV is like riding down an icy road, it's dangerous. Welcome to the forums, kak.mca! Post back and let us know if you need anymore help.

Reaction score
Symantec LiveUpdate is not an Anti-virus software, but rather it is an component of an Anti-virus software. Hence if you only have "Symantec LiveUpdate" installed on your system and no other "Symantec" softwares then you do NOT have an Anti-virus installed, you only have the program that updates the Anti-virus installed.

Okay if you have concluded that you indeed have no anti-virus installed please install one immediately. Here are some download links for some anti-virus software ( also note to update the anti-virus once you install ) :
1) http://www.symantec.com/downloads/index.jsp
2) http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free
3) http://www.webroot.com
You may also want to download a copy of malwarebytes and scan yourself to ensure you did not pick up any viruses while you were unprotected. You can of course scan with your anti-virus once you install it, but in experience Malwarebytes has proven itself to detect what some anti-virus software miss:
http://www.malwarebytes.org

Last edited:
Reaction score
catilley1092

Correct answer here Solve PC Issues Norton 360 version 4 also does this until you use ONE CLICK SUPPORT try using this after you try the other two fixes I had a similar error when installing a NEW COPY of Norton 360 Version 4,after I configured the program,Startup programs,etc Norton does do the Job I trust it 100%

Reaction score
Norton... I suggest MSE, AVG, or avast! BTW they are free. But Norton has came a long way from what it used to be. Also you may look into webroot too, but this one cost some money.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
After having found a couple of infections on my Windows 7 install, I decided to install two AV programs to run together. MSE and Avast 5.0 is running at the same time, with no side effects. I also have Malwarebytes installed for an on demand scanner.

Ask a Question