Install 64-bit over 32-bit?

Reaction score
I don't seem to be able to "upgrade" Windows 7 x64 over the x86 version. After I launch setup (or allow autorun), I get a message box telling me "the installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows" (the autorun launches sperr32.exe which displays that error message).

I had assumed this was possible. Anyone seen this or tried this with success?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site dofzin :)

Unless I'm mistaken, I think you can only do a clean install when moving between bit versions.

You can always use the easy transfer wizard to move over your customisation, file and e-mail settings to make the move a little easier via a clean install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is impossible to launch Windows x64 binaries inside Windows x86. You must perform a clean install.

Reaction score
Thanks both. Seems like that would be a common upgrade path for people moving from Vista 32-bit now ready to take the leap (with more drivers available, etc.), but if the setup binaries are 64-bit executables only, it's obvious why that doesn't work.

Well, now I've found a excuse to do a clean install (and reinstall apps, etc etc). Funny, only with Vista did I stop being a "clean install" guy since the Vista upgrades generally worked so well!

Reaction score
I agree it would be good to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit for two reasons-
1) it is convenient;
2) A LOT of people are going to buy and use the 32-bit as standard, and as previous Operating Systems have been in use for 7 years with memory requirements going from 256MB to 3GB for XP with SP3, Office SP3, Adobe reader preloading, etc, etc, within it's life, the 1GB minimum requirement of Win7 will obviously become as laughable as 256MB is for Windows XP today. Like 2GB is now standard for XP, with Win 7 Service Packs, Office 2010, .NET 6, etc, Windows 7 will be needing 4GB, 6GB, 8GB quickly, and soon 8GB will be as cheap as 1GB is today.
But unlike XP, you won't be able to just chuck in bigger RAM modules because Win7-32bit will only see 3GB of RAM. So everyone will have to buy a retail box of Win7-64bit and do a clean install to use more than 3GB of RAM.

Oh well, good revenue stream for us techies :)

Reaction score
I don't seem to be able to "upgrade" Windows 7 x64 over the x86 version. After I launch setup (or allow autorun), I get a message box telling me "the installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows" (the autorun launches sperr32.exe which displays that error message).

I had assumed this was possible. Anyone seen this or tried this with success?
i had install x64 on x86 version no problem i got till now

Ask a Question