Inaccesible partitions after Windows 7 install

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 7 next to my old Windows XP (so it's a dualboot situation). I have 2 physical HDD's (320 GB each) and 6 logical drives (2 + 4 primary partitions, all NTFS). After installing Windows 7, two of 4 partitions in one hdd have become inaccessible - disk manager still shows them, but I can't neither set a drive letter, nor view properties. I get the following error:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by usin the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart computer."

Both of the inaccessible partitions are fine in Windows XP. Any ideas or solutions ? ;/

Reaction score
Just to be on the safe side of things, have you fiddled around on the inside of the computer? if you have make sure that all the cables are firmly connected, and check that the bios recognises these.
If this has been checked and still doesn't work in disk management, try searching google, or telling us your hard drive model numbers, and we will see whether this is a common incident or whether that it requires drivers as such :)

Reaction score
Cables are ok, bios recognizes perfectly (I probably would know what to do if the problem appeared the same in both WinXP and W7).

Samsung HD321KJ
Seagate ST3320613AS

Just to be on the safe side of things, have you fiddled around on the inside of the computer? if you have make sure that all the cables are firmly connected, and check that the bios recognises these.
If this has been checked and still doesn't work in disk management, try searching google, or telling us your hard drive model numbers, and we will see whether this is a common incident or whether that it requires drivers as such :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi laikinasis

Try this to assign a letter

1. Click Start and in Search programs and files box type CMD
2. From top of Start menu under Programs (1) right - click CMD > Run as administrator
3. At the Command prompt _ type Diskpart and press (ENTER)
4. Type List Disk (ENTER)
5. type Select Disk K ( K = your Disk Number) (ENTER)
6. Type List Partition (ENTER)
7. Select Partition k (k = the partition you want) (ENTER)
8. Type Assign (ENTER)

Reaction score
No luck:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 298 GB 7168 KB
Disk 1 Online 298 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 19 GB 31 KB
Partition 2 Primary 48 GB 19 GB
Partition 3 Primary 97 GB 68 GB
Partition 4 Primary 132 GB 166 GB

DISKPART> select partition 4

Partition 4 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> assign

There is no volume specified.
Please select a volume and try again.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 G DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 D Sisteminis NTFS Partition 34 GB Healthy System
Volume 2 S Nuotraukos NTFS Partition 263 GB Healthy
Volume 3 X Cache NTFS Partition 19 GB Healthy
Volume 4 C Windows 7 NTFS Partition 48 GB Healthy Boot

Hi laikinasis

Try this to assign a letter

1. Click Start and in Search programs and files box type CMD
2. From top of Start menu under Programs (1) right - click CMD > Run as administrator
3. At the Command prompt _ type Diskpart and press (ENTER)
4. Type List Disk (ENTER)
5. type Select Disk K ( K = your Disk Number) (ENTER)
6. Type List Partition (ENTER)
7. Select Partition k (k = the partition you want) (ENTER)
8. Type Assign (ENTER)

Reaction score
I'm curious if you could repartition the two drives in Windows 7 after you backed up all data to a different drive from XP.

Reaction score
Repartitioning is out of the question, since I'm just trying to make Windows 7 work properly, yet it's not my main OS. Also, I don't have a spare drive to make backups...

I'm curious if you could repartition the two drives in Windows 7 after you backed up all data to a different drive from XP.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK

1. Open Command Prompt and type diskpart At the diskpart prompt, type list volume.
2. Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign.
3. At the diskpart prompt, type select volume k (as before select the volume, where k is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign.
4. At the diskpart prompt, type the following assign letter=k where k is the drive letter you want to assign.

Reaction score
Well... you may have seen that when I try to type "list volume", the missing partitions are not shown...

OK

1. Open Command Prompt and type diskpart At the diskpart prompt, type list volume.
2. Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign.
3. At the diskpart prompt, type select volume k (as before select the volume, where k is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign.
4. At the diskpart prompt, type the following assign letter=k where k is the drive letter you want to assign.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi laikinasis

As you said Windows 7 is not your main OS i would consider reinstalling Windows 7 or wait 34 days if you have per-ordered / or intend buying Windows 7 first release.

Reaction score
Well, I doubt that reinstall would somehow work, since there was nothing I could do during it and the problem appeared just after the install.

I got Windows 7 from MSDNAA Software Center (in other words, straight from Microsoft) and it seems to be the final version.

Hi laikinasis

As you said Windows 7 is not your main OS i would consider reinstalling Windows 7 or wait 34 days if you have per-ordered / or intend buying Windows 7 first release.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I see, was this a download that you burnt to Disk or a Disk sent to you ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Have you tried Troubleshooting in Windows 7 as this can bring up quite a lot of info ?

Go Control Panel > Troubleshooting or open the Action Center flag icon on the taskbar

In the main categories you have
Programs
Hardware and Sound
Network and Internet
Appearance and Personalization
System and Security

Ask a Question