Importing mail folders from CD

Reaction score
I managed to get some stuff from my old HDD, one of the things I think I've got is mail and address book from Thunderbird that I used to use.
I want to try to get them across in windows live mail that I'm using now but it only gives import options from other email programs, not from files held elsewhere.

Using XP.
Can anyone tell me:
A/ what file names should I be looking for in the Thunderbird folder for emails and address book.
B/ If located how to get them across into Windows live mail.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Mychael

Can you no longer Export the files so that Windows live can Import them?

Reaction score
They are on a CD atm. Not sure what file names I should be looking for. Windows live does not seem to have an option to browse folders. So I'd have to identify which ones I needed first then try to copy/paste them into whatever file name exists under with Windows live. I don't have Thunderbird as a program installed on this PC.

Reaction score
Windows Live and Thunderbird are going to use different file formats for saving Email and storing Address Books. You are going to need Thunderbird to Export to a format that Windows Live can use to Import your data. Simply copying from the Thunderbird folder to a Windows Live folder will not work.

Reaction score
Darn. Oh well. Do you know if I could print out the emails and the address book from the files on the cd? I don't seem to be able to open anything I click on.

Reaction score
I have a feeling that you will need to install Thunderbird before you will be able to access your data again. :(

Ask a Question