Import from Outlook to Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
I downloaded the new wdos mail program. After discovering there was no way to import my contacts, old emails, calendar from Outlook, I removed the program.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have I missed something. Would like to try the new mail program to see if it's an improvement.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's silly that MS don't provide a way to go from Outlook to Windows Live mail directly - but you can go from Outlook > Outlook Express > Windows Live Mail if you are able to perform that middle step. Daft, I know!

You can run Outlook Express on Windows 7 with a little tweaking, or you can convert the file types on your old XP/Vista installation if possible.

Reaction score
Windows Mail

Wow, wish I'd thought or known that before. I did export my outlook info to files, but unfortunately W7 only recognizes outlook express or eudora. Nuts

JCM

Reaction score
How can youn run outlook express on Windows 7?

Reaction score
Outlook express was renamed to Windows Mail for the advent of Vista before dissapearing in Windows 7, I myself am currently running Windows Mail on Windows Seven x64 Platform. Much better than its similar namesake of Windows Live Mail. To do this you would need the correct version (x32 or x64) of vista to attain the files from. If you have this then you may be able to import your contacts etc.

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows Mail was only a clone of OE. It was never intended to be in the final release of 7. In an effort to move foreward, Microsoft introduced the "Live mail"
It is, by far, much much better then Windows Mail. It has several functions you won't find in Windows Mail, such as RSS Feed reader and integrated Windows Live contacts, which syncs automatically with your Windows Live account online and Windows Live Messenger contacts and many more. The User interface is much better and there are lots of enhancements for e-mail composing.
The main differences is it supports Pop3, IMAP, HTTP website (EX: Hotmail) email, and is a lot more stable. WLM will minimize to a tray bar icon and has a separate Inbox for each email account. It will automatically import Windows Mail messages, accounts, and settings into it.

JCM

Reaction score
Yes it is almost ok but needs fixing in the contacts folder. Outlook express would allow you to put your contacts into various folders then you could go to that folder (when in to ot bcc) and select the ones you wanted. WLM won't allow you to open the folder but insted imports the whole folder and all the email addresses. It also leaves all the contacts in the main folder. You cant clean it up so that you can see your recently added contact - theyh disapear into the mess. I have over 500 contacts for various servious clubs and work.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In the Windows Live Contacts window, you can click "File" and "Add a new category". You can then copy and paste your contacts around to their appropriate sections.

Ask a Question