Icons Missing on Install of Nero

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's try re-building the icon cache, and hopefully that will solve it :)

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
Code:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did it happen after installing Nero that time too?

If you unpin and re-pin them, does that work - or are you able to manually reassign the icon back?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you right click on some of the blank icons, are they all shortcut files or exe files? It could be that the file extensions are messed up if rebuilding the icon cache doesn't work.

If you click "change icon" under properties, do you see the original icon there?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
On the blank icon, go to properties > shortcut > change icon. Does it let you reset the icon that way?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it let you change the icon if the icon is unpinned? I'm really baffled by this problem.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The command line rebuilding of the icon cache has already forced a re-check of the icons, so I'm not sure if either of those will work any further (as they are just different methods of the same thing) - but it won't cause any problem trying (although I don't know if those reg values from link 1 will work in Windows 7 anymore).

I'm fresh out of ideas for the moment, but perhaps someone else will have some thoughts :) If I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know.

Reaction score
I too am having a problem with an Icon. It started after I installed Nitro PDF reader. I have tried the icon cache rebuild trick but it did not fix my problem. Running 32bit W7. It is only the .PDF icon that is messed up.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I too am having a problem with an Icon. It started after I installed Nitro PDF reader. I have tried the icon cache rebuild trick but it did not fix my problem. Running 32bit W7. It is only the .PDF icon that is messed up.
Did you also delete the thumbnails cache at the same time?
Press Start, (My) Computer, Right click C drive (your Main or System Drive), Properties, Click on the Disk Clean Up button. It will now do a search and then show you what it has found that you can clean up. Thumbnails is an option in there. Re-delete the iconcache if it has re-built itself. Re-boot PC/Lappy.

BTW This was an old thread you've revived. What exactly is the issue with your PDF files if the above doesn't cure it?

Reaction score
BTW This was an old thread you've revived. What exactly is the issue with your PDF files if the above doesn't cure it?
Yes I would agree, you may even get better responses if you started a new thread. I myself and many others consider threads that are related to a Beta/RC version of Windows to be irrelevant.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you installed Nitro PDF reader then it took over as the default PDF handler in your system file types and so now PDF files should show Nitro's PDF image, that is why it would look different.

Reaction score
!!!THREAD NECROMANCY!!!

Copy/save to .REG file and apply to your system:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico]
@="icofile"
"PerceivedType"="image"
"Content Type"="image/x-icon"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile]
@="Icon"
"ImageOptionFlags"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="12000"

This recently annoyed me until I remembered where I'd put this reg fix. Thought I'd share for those that may still run into it. You're welcome.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes you did dig up the dead but maybe it will help someone in the future who finds this old thread in a search. Thank you for your input.

Ask a Question