I want to run win 7 on another pc

Reaction score
can I put the same version of win 7 on my other pc using the same license number? Can i put the same cd on 2 pc's that I own ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope unfortunately not, 1 DVD/License = 1 install.

There are other options, such as buying a Windows 7 "family pack" which lets you install it on 3 machines in your home.

Reaction score
Nope unfortunately not, 1 DVD/License = 1 install.

There are other options, such as buying a Windows 7 "family pack" which lets you install it on 3 machines in your home.
1 install?? or 1 computer? I just bought / installed Windows 7 on one of my computers, and if the software becomes corrupted by malware, I can't re-install to the same computer?

I ask because this is the 1st time I've installed a new OS on an existing computer. At least when I bought an HP, it came with a copy of the OS on another partition so you could perform a full recovery. HP will also sell you a copy on CD if you want it.

So Microsoft just takes your $200 and hangs you out to dry?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No! You're taking Ian too literally.

One licence means install on one machine. You can, reinstall on the same machine as often as you like. You may have to phone MS, but that's not usually a problem.

However, should you have an OEM licence then you can only install to the machine the licence is intended for. You cannot uninstall from that machine and install to a different machine!

You may not install a single user licence to more than one machine!

Reaction score
No! You're taking Ian too literally.

One licence means install on one machine. You can, reinstall on the same machine as often as you like. You may have to phone MS, but that's not usually a problem.

However, should you have an OEM licence then you can only install to the machine the licence is intended for. You cannot uninstall from that machine and install to a different machine!

You may not install a single user licence to more than one machine!
Whew! I'm glad to hear that! Haha
I have no need to run it on a second computer anyway, but can the software recognize the computer? Or else it doesn't, and thats why you have to call and convince Microsoft that it's still the same computer?

Reaction score
Windows does sense new hardware. If you make to many hardware changes you may find that Windows has been de-activated. A motherboard change will for sure de-activate Windows.

Just recently I added a hard drive for a few minutes and removed it. This triggered a de-activation and needed to be re-activated online.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Whew! I'm glad to hear that! Haha
I have no need to run it on a second computer anyway, but can the software recognize the computer? Or else it doesn't, and thats why you have to call and convince Microsoft that it's still the same computer?
Yes the software does recognize the hardware. If you change a hard drive, mobo or video card you can call M$ support and they'll give you a new activation code. I had to do this when I had XP Pro OEM editon and changed out a mobo that died on me and another time when I upgraded to a bigger hard drive. M$ support is there to help you out when this happens and they won't put you through the 3rd degree.

Ask a Question