I really dont know what this is! :(

Reaction score
My screen keeps shutting off, and sometimes does my computer screen turn black and then it turns green, white, red or grey and a odd sound comes out from my headset.

Attachments

Reaction score
I think its probably your video card
try to update video card drivers if it wont help buy a new one

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My screen keeps shutting off, and sometimes does my computer screen turn black and then it turns green, white, red or grey and a odd sound comes out from my headset.

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help
http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lo...op-0x116-video_tdr_error-troubleshooting.html

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Depending upon your brand and model of video card, the T.I.M. (thermal interface material) or thermal compound may have dried out or the loosened it's interface between the GPU and cooling heatsink.

I would recommend removing the heatsink and visually inspecting the TIM and seeing what it looks like. If you see air bubbles and/or gap and it feels hard or chalky, then it's time to replace it with a quality TIM such as Arctic Silver Ceramique or Prolimatech PK-2. AS Cerramique takes about a week to break-in properly through several heating and cooling cycles of the GPU while Prolimatech PK-2 works straight out of the tube.

Also check the capacitors on the video card and see if any have bulging or cracked ends with brown goo leaking out. If so, unless your a very good solderer, your card is toast.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Looks like he may have solved the problem -it's quite an old thread.

Ask a Question