I have failed in life, cannot network 3 computers

Reaction score
My life is a failure as it seems, for a year now I cannot get any walk through to genuinely give me step by stem guide on how to network all 3 computers in the home. I want to be able to drop files and work on their desktops from any computer.

I have made the same workgroups, it recognizes the names once in a while, but I cannot connect to the other computers. Please help me.

One PC is W7 Ultimate, 1 is W7 Home edition?? and 1 is W7 pro.

Please help me.

Reaction score
You need to join the HomeGroup on the W7 Ultimate pc from the Home Premium and Professional pc's. You also need to setup what you want to share in the Ultimate pc with the others through HomeGroup. Other than that someone else on the forum will need to help you. I do know that all 3 pcs need to be in the HomeGroup and since you have Ultimate, that would be my choice for the HomeGroup, not the others.

Reaction score
there is a password (not sure if thats the right word)
Yep thats what it is called. :)

You can find your homegroup password here:
Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> HomeGroup
Then select "View or print the homegroup password"

You should also check your sharing options:
Then select "Change advanced sharing settings"

Reaction score
Click Start orb and type HomeGroup in Search box at the bottom and hit enter. Then follow sdmnysimon and my instructions. In Home Premium & Profession you want to join the Ultimate pc's HomeGroup, so do the first step from Ultimate and then copy Ultimate's HomeGroup into the other 2 pcs under Join a HomeGroup. Now you should be set.

Reaction score
Yep thats what it is called. :)

You can find your homegroup password here:
Then select "View or print the homegroup password"

You should also check your sharing options:
Then select "Change advanced sharing settings"
I just had a brain explosion, where does it say view or print password on my screen? Am I in an alternate universe where Bill Gates is screwing with me?

Reaction score
I just had a brain explosion, where does it say view or print password on my screen? Am I in an alternate universe where Bill Gates is screwing with me?

wait a minute, something happened, okay Now I see my homegroup password, next step ...

Reaction score
That should solve it. Everything that deals with networking your home pc's on Windows 7 pc's must go through HomeGroup and use the same HomeGroup password.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything that deals with networking your home pc's on Windows 7 pc's must go through HomeGroup and use the same HomeGroup password.
The older networking system still exist. You have a choice in Windows 7, either one will work. However Windows 7 is the only operating system that can communicate through the Homegroup. Any other operating system will require the use of the older networking system.

Ask a Question