SOLVED HP Printer/Scanner software showing in Russian

Reaction score
Guys I need help. Because HP doesn't offer customer support, I have to turn to forums. I have this Officejet 6310. I cannot find any option anywhere to switch to English. I don't know how it go to be switched to Russian, but it is. I am tired of clicking everywhere. I don't see any options to change the language. And this is coming from a guy who reads Russian. I don't see any option in anything HP related to make the menus show up in English.

here is what I mean

And As always. Thank you!!!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Error Magnet, I have to agree with you on HP's "no support" deal. They lost me as a return customer over their non-replacement of what's probably a $5 mouse for the company. The user has to become their own "IT guy", as their almost automated answer to almost everything is "Have you reinstalled your OS, and checked to see if it helped?"

Plus, I was looking to upgrade my CPU, first my PSU had to be upgraded (a notebook type one). I know that they have more high performance ones, as they sell upper range dual cores, and also quad core CPU's, on notebooks, and these has to have a higher PSU than mine.

Even the MOBO OEM reported that my upgrade was compatable, in fact there were 4 options from which to choose.

I got shuffled around from one tech to the other on this issue, you'd think that their "tech support" as they call it, knows what the hell is going on.

Not to mention that they probably lost at least a $100 sale, by their "no help" attitude. I had already found the CPU, new, in OEM packaging, for $36 w/free shipping. I simply needed a new PSU, and didn't want to take a chance on those generic ones that can be found on Newegg, Amazon & eBay for less than $20.

Radio Shack may have been a good option, but I didn't think of it at the time.

BTW, although HP is the world largest computer distrubitor, they're ratings across the board, especially for home user products, ranks at or near the bottom in almost every category. Dell is a close second behind them. Both corporations sacrficed quality for quantity.

As to your question, a simple uninstall, and reinstall with the correct language will probably allow you to mark your issue as "Solved".

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Error Magnet, I have to agree with you on HP's "no support" deal. They lost me as a return customer over their non-replacement of what's probably a $5 mouse for the company. The user has to become their own "IT guy", as their almost automated answer to almost everything is "Have you reinstalled your OS, and checked to see if it helped?"

Plus, I was looking to upgrade my CPU, first my PSU had to be upgraded (a notebook type one). I know that they have more high performance ones, as they sell upper range dual cores, and also quad core CPU's, on notebooks, and these has to have a higher PSU than mine.

Even the MOBO OEM reported that my upgrade was compatable, in fact there were 4 options from which to choose.

I got shuffled around from one tech to the other on this issue, you'd think that their "tech support" as they call it, knows what the hell is going on.

Not to mention that they probably lost at least a $100 sale, by their "no help" attitude. I had already found the CPU, new, in OEM packaging, for $36 w/free shipping. I simply needed a new PSU, and didn't want to take a chance on those generic ones that can be found on Newegg, Amazon & eBay for less than $20.

Radio Shack may have been a good option, but I didn't think of it at the time.

BTW, although HP is the world largest computer distrubitor, they're ratings across the board, especially for home user products, ranks at or near the bottom in almost every category. Dell is a close second behind them. Both corporations sacrficed quality for quantity.

As to your question, a simple uninstall, and reinstall with the correct language will probably allow you to mark your issue as "Solved".

Best of Luck,
Cat
Yes sir, they have lost a lot of my business because of their horrible customer support. The printer was a gift to me and they included like 6 extra inks.

My brother and I were going to buy 5 HP laptops for his small business, but they didn't even know their own computer specifications.

Is it possible to just uninstall these drivers and then install the english version?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=uk&os=4063&product=1119598&sw_lang=

That's the drivers and PhotoSmart package for the 6310 :)
I can try, but I never installed it in Russian in the first place.

Reaction score
Software is just weird. All I'm doing here is empathizing cant solve your problem, I used to use Outlook express email until one day it's spell check would only do French, so when it thought I'd spelt something wrong it would try to change it to French. No reason, it just decided that's what it would do with no other options. An Epsom printer ran out of ink one day and from then put up every alert in some Asian text. Dunno :dontknow:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me years ago. In the mid '90's, I was training a salesman, the truck battery died, and had to be jumped.

Actually, I should have known better, as we were supposed to disconnect the printer cable in this type of situation, but we were late as it was, and simply forgot. The handheld computer that we used was in it's cradle in the printer, after we were jumped, I began to print our invoices, and it was in Japanese.

But it wasn't the printer's fault, the handheld computer must have received a power jolt during the jump start, and reset itself to it's native language, as that's where it was made.

After that event, plastic tags were placed on the terminal to remind whoever jumps or services these trucks are to disconnect the printer cable prior to whatever they're doing. But in my opinion, the printer connector should not have been placed on that post. The batteries (two of them) were in a hard to access area, and there was simply a post mounted on the frame for access. The power cable for the printer was laid on top of the battery's main positive cable. Not too bright, in my opinion.

On most of our trucks, there were at least 2 unused fuse slots, this is where the printers should have been wired to. I guess it was done the way it was for convenience, the installers were too lazy to do it the right way.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, I reinstalled the software, it's still showing in Russian. I guess I'm stuck with it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you install Russian on your computer? When you install a language it may become set as the default language. Products that don't use something called Unicode will automatically display in the default language.

Windows Help and Support said:
  1. Go to Control Panel\Region and Language
  2. Click the Administrative tab, and then, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Select the language, and then click OK.
    To restart your computer, click Restart now.

Reaction score
Did you install Russian on your computer? When you install a language it may become set as the default language. Products that don't use something called Unicode will automatically display in the default language.
Yes sir, I did. I do a lot of work with Russian software and I beta test some Russian games. I will test this suggestion and get back to you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=1119598&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»

Download the latest drivers to keep your HP product up-to-date.

If available, software/drivers will be displayed in: English
Download the latest drivers to keep your HP product up-to-date.
I will do this just in case. Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's always good to have the latest drivers, regardless of the language, but if they don't use UNICODE I don't believe it will fix your language issue.

Reaction score
Guys, I think I might be going insane. In fact, I know I am.
My printer was printing fine yesterday. Today I try to print some things, and it makes a squeal noise before it starts making sounds like it is printing. So it goes through the motion of printing, but verrrrry slowly, but no ink on the paper.
The ink cartridge is not empty, not even close. There is no jam. And the FUNNY thing is I printed the "print report" that the printer has, and it prints just fine.

How can that be? How can the report print just fine, but my papers for college it won't print.

Am I having Alzheimers? Or am I insane? Do I need ritalin? Because I don't understand how it can print one thing, but not another.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Printers go bad all the time. It's part of our disposable world.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's the way they're made nowadays, everything is made of recycled plastic, and flimsy at that.

Even many notebooks that were once made of aluminum/magnesium are now made of cheap, shiny plastic, even some expensive ones.

Quality has been kicked to the curb for quantity years ago, unfortunately.

Cat

Reaction score
The consumers have to take some responsibility as well. These days a lot of people judge 'good value' as how cheap they can purchase something not by how good it is or how long it will last.
I've had a similar conversation in the classic car forums I frequent, re-production parts these days are often rubbish, partly because they are never made by the original manufacturer anymore but also because some car owners prefer to pay less for a hobby car that might only get driven a dozen times in a year.
The long term worry is that with each successive generation people will come to accept poor quality as the status quo never having seen quality stuff in their lifetime, it becomes a slippery slide into mediocrity.
People from earlier generations (probably a lot of us here) can still remember what a well made thing was like but as we move on that information gets lost.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I reread it and you say it prints the test page OK.

The test page may come from the printer itself but if you now have the wrong driver then data may not be getting to your printer. Go to device manager, find the printer, and rollback the driver.

Also, you never said if you tried "Control Panel\Region and Language ...Administrative tab, Language for non-Unicode programs ... Change system locale". I firmly believe this may have been the issue all along.

Reaction score
I reread it and you say it prints the test page OK.

The test page may come from the printer itself but if you now have the wrong driver then data may not be getting to your printer. Go to device manager, find the printer, and rollback the driver.

Also, you never said if you tried "Control Panel\Region and Language ...Administrative tab, Language for non-Unicode programs ... Change system locale". I firmly believe this may have been the issue all along.
It worked! It only took 5 restarts, and reinstalling everything. PLUS, it's now in English!! Woooo!!! Beers for everyone!! :beer:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The consumers have to take some responsibility as well. These days a lot of people judge 'good value' as how cheap they can purchase something not by how good it is or how long it will last.
I've had a similar conversation in the classic car forums I frequent, re-production parts these days are often rubbish, partly because they are never made by the original manufacturer anymore but also because some car owners prefer to pay less for a hobby car that might only get driven a dozen times in a year.
The long term worry is that with each successive generation people will come to accept poor quality as the status quo never having seen quality stuff in their lifetime, it becomes a slippery slide into mediocrity.
People from earlier generations (probably a lot of us here) can still remember what a well made thing was like but as we move on that information gets lost.
I'm one of those from that generation, the things that we used to buy were quality products, and when something did go wrong, it could be repaired. Remember all of the TV & Radio repair shops of the past? The VCR repair shops?

For the most part, they no longer exist. Usually when you take something back, you're given a like device for your defective one, even some computers.

Today, a lot of things are "throwaway" items, and it's been that way for some time. I once had a leaf blower that ran perfectly well for nearly 20 years, and I didn't as much as change the spark plug in it. The spring that recoiled the starter rope broke, I dealt with it for a year, finally I carried it back to Sears to repair it.

The repairman told me that I would be better served to buy a new one, as they were much lighter and blew faster than mine. Mine was made of mostly metal, the ones that were on display were light alright, except for the engine, it was mostly plastic. I left the store, and found someone (more or less a hobbyist) who worked on small things like that. He only charged me $15 for the repair, Sears wanted $40 for labor, plus parts.

I gave him $20 and told him to keep the change.

As far as quality and longevity goes, for the most part, those days are gone. Many of today's computers are built to last through 2 releases of Windows, after that, they're usually either antique (outdated technology) or wore out. The same with printers, too.

Cat

Ask a Question