HP Laser ColorJet 1600 won't work in Windows 7 64-bit

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7 64-bit onto VMWare Fusion3 on my MacBook Pro. I'm a retired grandmother, so not hugely techno, but better than some my age! I have clever nephews who tell me that it would be 'easy' to run windows on a mac, so I converted! What a learning curve!!
So I have managed to get this complicated set-up to run my Canon printer okay, but for some of my graphics work I really, really wanted to use my Laser printer!
Tell me, please, someone, if I had installed the 32-bit instead of the 64-bit, would it have worked? This particular HP Laser ColorJet won't work with the Mac, but works fine with a little Windows 7 netbook with the starter version. If someone can confirm that it might be worth it, I'll just put the 64-bit version in the Mac trash and install the 32-bit.
If I'd been a bit more techno I'd have just dragged good old Windows XP onto the VMWare Fusion, but couldn't figure that out easily, and all my nephews were too busy to help.
Easy, my foot!!!!
Any help will be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Technogranny Karen

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it will probably have something to do with missing or incompatible printer drivers. Have you tried looking for 64bit drivers on the HP website?

Going 32bit would probably solve the problem. Why did you install 64bit Windows in the first place? The MacBook Pro only just has the configuration required for Windows 64bit, on its own, so I don't think installing 64bit on a virtual machine is a good idea, seeing as you can't give it all the computers ressources.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it will probably have something to do with missing or incompatible printer drivers. Have you tried looking for 64bit drivers on the HP website?

Going 32bit would probably solve the problem. Why did you install 64bit Windows in the first place? The MacBook Pro only just has the configuration required for Windows 64bit, on its own, so I don't think installing 64bit on a virtual machine is a good idea, seeing as you can't give it all the computers ressources.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Hi Fire Cat!
Like I said, I'm not very techno, so I installed 64 rather than 32 on the basis that bigger must be better!! Didn't understand anything about it at all! All learning curve stuff, and if you don't try, you never learn!
I'll trash the 64-bit one and install the 32-bit one and see what happens, and if it works, I'll adopt you as another nephew! I'll let you know how I get on a bit later.
Thanks a million for your quick response which confirms what I kind of suspected.
Cheers,
Tecnogranny Karen

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the drivers Niburu. My phone can't access heavy sites like HP. :(

Karen, even though the drivers are 64bit, I would still advise to go 32bit on virtual machines. This should avoid most compatibility problems like this, and, the MacBook Pro hasn't got enough RAM to run Snow Leopard and 7 64bit properly (64bit needs minimum 2GB) so Windows 64bit won't be as efficient as Windows 32bit.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Fire Cat - I hope you don't suffer that new malady for users of cell phone whilst texting. You sure have been busy on that phone lately. I would hate to see your fingers or knuckles get all locked up in the joints from so much key pressing.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Fire Cat - I hope you don't suffer that new malady for users of cell phone whilst texting. You sure have been busy on that phone lately. I would hate to see your fingers or knuckles get all locked up in the joints from so much key pressing.
Don't worry. It's a 3.7 inch touch screen, in landscape mode ;) Very comfy, actualy.

Anyway, I play drums and guitare, so my arms and hands get a lot of excercise.

Reaction score
Thanks for the drivers Niburu. My phone can't access heavy sites like HP. :(

Karen, even though the drivers are 64bit, I would still advise to go 32bit on virtual machines. This should avoid most compatibility problems like this, and, the MacBook Pro hasn't got enough RAM to run Snow Leopard and 7 64bit properly (64bit needs minimum 2GB) so Windows 64bit won't be as efficient as Windows 32bit.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Hi Fire Cat!
It worked! It worked!! It worked!!!!!!!
I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7, and it runs like a dream. I stuck the old 64-bit into the trash, and installed both Canon and HP printers, and the other software I love (FotoFusion Lumapix), and it's all running very smoothly now.
Woman triumphs over technology!!!!!
And I was also dead chuffed to find that my external hard drive now connects to Windows 7, as well as CD-Roms, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about using it.
Thanks a million for your expertise!
:)
Cheers,
Technogranny Karen

Reaction score
Karen - You CAN install VISTA drivers for the x64 Windows 7 and it works fine!

Go here for the 64 bit driver:
HP Color LaserJet 1600 Print Driver Package 64 bit
Hi Nibiru2012,
thanks for the advice, but my instinct was to go for installing Windows 7 x 32-bit.
Not being highly technical, it was a complete shot in the dark installing 7x64 .. I had no idea what the difference was!!! But good to know that there are more drivers for the HP machine in case I ever need them.
Thanks a lot,
cheers,
Technogranny Karen :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I hope you didn't throw away your 64 bit Windows 7 install disc. That would not be a smart move.

The 64 bit is quicker than 32 bit and is much better able to utilize the RAM, especially if you have 4GB of RAM or more.

But since you're using VMWare, it's probably a different ball game

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, Nibiru. VMWare is a whole different ball game, as are all VM's. To install a 64 bit OS and expect decent performance, you'd need 6GB RAM at the minimum. Note that I said "decent performance". You have to "lend" some RAM to the VM, this is where things gets tricky. A 64 bit OS needs 2GB, so if you had 6GB (like you do), you'd have to drop your main OS to 4GB to give the VM 2GB (for 64 bit performance). This is why 32 bit OS's are better to run in a VM. With 4GB, I can allow 1.5GB for the VM with no problems. But the only reason that I even have one now is to evaluate Linux OS's. I no longer have one on my desktop at all, I put that on my laptop. With 2GB RAM, I can lend 768MB RAM (three-fourth of a GB) to the VM for my needs, which are few anymore. I don't want to have to run one on a daily basis, and certainly don't want to have to depend on it for my software/hardware to run. But they do have their place here, as the OP's issue was solved, and that's the bottom line. Best wishes, Karen.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Get the 64-bit out of the trash! Going forward new devices will all have 64-bit drivers. Most advice I have read is, if your system can handle 64 then go for it. At the very least you can sell the 64-bit disc on eBay (just indicate No Activation Key included) and you can recoup atleast $15 or more of the cost of your new OS - better than nothing from the trashman!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Fire Cat!
It worked! It worked!! It worked!!!!!!!
I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7, and it runs like a dream. I stuck the old 64-bit into the trash, and installed both Canon and HP printers, and the other software I love (FotoFusion Lumapix), and it's all running very smoothly now.
Woman triumphs over technology!!!!!
And I was also dead chuffed to find that my external hard drive now connects to Windows 7, as well as CD-Roms, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about using it.
Thanks a million for your expertise!
:)
Cheers,
Technogranny Karen
Glad I could help you :)

As Niburu said, hopefully you didn't throw away the instalation DVD. Even though license is the important/expensive part, the DVD can still be usefull.

Expertise.... I've only really been into computers since one year ago, and I learned a lot from forums like this. So it's really Ian who is to thank. ;) :D

Cheers,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
FC, Are your parents diplomats? That would explain the extensive traveling and the diplomocy.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So it's really Ian who is to thank. ;) :D
Okay now WE SEE where the REAL LOVE is! LOL!

I gues C_C, Catilley, yodap, Veedaz, davehc, Thrax, core and myself don't count.

Don't come crying to us when the 'rents take the phone away too! LMAO!

NOW GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay now WE SEE where the REAL LOVE is! LOL!

I gues C_C, Catilley, yodap, Veedaz, davehc, Thrax, core and myself don't count.

Don't come crying to us when the 'rents take the phone away too! LMAO!

NOW GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Oh come on Niburu! :D I meant thank you for Ian for creating this forum. Of course, a big thanks to you, Clifford, Cat, Veedaz and all the other members ;)

Sorry for highjacking your thread Karen :)

Ah well... I'm off to do my homework...

Cheers,
Fire Ca

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a difference between diplomacy and being a kissa$$.

I had a manager one time. She told me the secret to kissing up to the boss was knowing when and when not to use tongue.

FC, wash your tongue!

Ask a Question