SOLVED How to setup IE9,FF 14, Opera 12 & Chrome 20 to block Atdmt.com ?

Reaction score
How do I setup my browsers to block Atdmt.com ? SUPERAntiSpyware has found 2 tracking cookies since Sunday for that address.

Reaction score
The all in one solution is to add an entry in the HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc which will prevent your computer from going to the website

The file path may be wrong because iam using a 32 bit system and yours is a 64 bit

open the hots file using notepad and type

127.0.0.1 atdmt.com

then save it and close it

a normal host file without any entries will look like this

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The fact is you probably want to block a lot more than Atdmt.com. I recommend you get the hosts file from WinHelp2002 MVPS Hosts and use that; you will be amazed by how much "crap" you never see again. (Read on before fetching MVPS Hosts yourself)

And a good way to manage your hosts file is with a program called HostsMan which is in our Freeware DB. With HostsMan you can easily turn off the blocking if you visit a site like ABC.Com which requires you not to block ads in order to watch their TV shows; simply find the HostsMan icon in the system tray, right-click, and uncheck "enable hosts" (simply check it again to turn it back on).

HostsMan saves all that time dealing with the hidden and system attributes of the hosts file and the time to copy an clear file back and forth when you need to disable blocking. HostsMan even has an option (Ctrl+U) to simply go get the MVPS Hosts entries and merge them (these are updated approximately every quarter so update periodically). You may also have hosts from other sources. For example, if you use Spybot Search and Destroy, it will put entries in your Hosts File and when you merge those with MVPS Hosts you should use another great HostsMan option ... I have over 30,000 entries, so sorting and removal of duplicates can greatly improve URL processing time.

Also, one thing amaltom mentioned is setting it to 127.0.0.1, it is actually more efficient to use 0.0.0.0. 127.0.0.1 tells it to look locally, 0.0.0.0 tells it it's a dead link and it can stop looking immediately; the difference is probably thousands of a second but if a webpage has a thousand ads that's a second you don't waste. There is even another option in HostsMan to change all 127.0.0.1 entries to 0.0.0.0, after which you should run remove duplicates and then run optimize.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Added the line to my hosts file. Did a clean install last week. Guess I need to reinstall Hostsman now.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I didn't know about it either till another poster, Etalmar, recommended it and after I tried it, I was hooked and have been a big proponent for it ever since. For anybody that works with the Hosts file, I recommend making it easier on yourself, use HostsMan.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Man, that is an old technique. I had forgotten about that.
That is one way viruses re-direct you to their sites.

Still I like it, an addition to my line of defence.

Cheers.

Reaction score
No malware found today since adding line to hosts file and then re-installing Hostmsan along with updating the MVPS.org's host file.

Ask a Question