How to setup home network

Reaction score
I am confussed and not sure about homegroup network in Win 7. When I connect 2 pc's with a router everything works fine without to tweak anything. But when I connect a pc to another directly with LAN I can't manage to see them connected.

Any ideas ?

Reaction score

Pin - - - - -Name - - - - - Description
---------------------------------------------------
1 - - - - - -TX+ - - - - - -Transmit Data+
2 - - - - - -TX- - - - - - -Transmit Data-
3 - - - - - -RX+ - - - - - -Receive Data+
6 - - - - - -RX- - - - - - -Receive Data-
Connecting a standard Ethernet Cable from PC to PC would cause a communication error. Both computers would be listening on pins 3 and 6 for a signal. Both computers would be talking on pins 1 and 2 for a signal.

This is where the term Networking Switch come into focus. A Network switch will switch the signaling so that any computer on a network can hear and talk to the others.

When connecting PC to PC you have to options:
  1. Using a special cable that has been wired to connect to hubs together can be used to connect two computers together. The cable is called a Crossover Cable.
  2. Connecting PC to PC through Windows that switches the RX and TX on the port will also allow for communication.

Reaction score
pcnw thought they would ignore my warning about spamming links in their signature.

Spamming links are not excepted on this website and will be removed. I will give a second chance and warn users based on the thread/post. Ignoring such a warning will result in immediate banishment regardless of whether the question has been answered.

Using my Ban Hammer with a Bot is boring. This one however was quite fun. :)

Ask a Question