SOLVED How To Kill The Adobe Auto Update Manager

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The Adobe AAM Updater schedules itself to run every day at 02:00. To do this the Updater plants itself in your Task Scheduler and your Startup to maintain its routine.

Yet Adobe probably releases an update only every couple of months, if that. If you try to delete those update entries, the next time you start an Adobe Application, AAM Updater will reinstate itself.

This'll stop it!!

Save this code as AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<Preferences>

<Suppressed>1</Suppressed>

</Preferences>
Then put this .dat file in the folder that corresponds with your system set up.

64 bit.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0

32 bit. (x86)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0

Finally, you can now safely (happily?) remove the AAM Updater from your Task Scheduler (Search > taskschd.msc) and your Startup (Search > msconfig - Startup tab).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I looked through my startup entries and I do not have the updater file that you mentioned. I long since deleted Adobe Reader and use Foxit Reader when viewing PDF format.

Insofar as Adobe Flash update nags, I deleted that key using Autoruns program a while ago. Haven't noticed an Adobe update startup key yet.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
CS5 installed this annoying thing. Thanks for the guide, Elmo!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. In Adobe Reader, you can change your preferences to "Do not download or install updates automatically". And with Flash, you can go out to Flash Settings Manager to change and uncheck the option to automatically notify me of updates, or can change the setting up to every 60 days.

I don't any Adobe processes listed in my TM.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I used to get it all the time with CS3, it probably wasn't doing any harm, it was just there! That annoyed me.

When I moved to CS5 back it came, even worse when I just loaded the Acrobat pro extended trial. So out came this old trick.

Let's just say I don't like things using the back door to settle themselves in!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Let's just say I don't like things using the back door to settle themselves in!
I hear you on that. I note with both Adobe Reader and Flash, those updaters are enabled by default. Not cool.

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. In Adobe Reader, you can change your preferences to "Do not download or install updates automatically". And with Flash, you can go out to Flash Settings Manager to change and uncheck the option to automatically notify me of updates, or can change the setting up to every 60 days.

I don't any Adobe processes listed in my TM.
While it is fairly simple to adjust Adobe Flash settings with the online Settings Manager, I still used to get a "run once" registry key every time I upgraded, regardless of what my settings were prior to that, so the efficacy of the online settings manager is highly questionable and obviously quite easy for Adobe to override, which is not surprising.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I didn't mind it running in the background (although that didn't tickle me either) so much as I hated seeing it in the system tray. I'm just weird about the tray...I prefer as few icons there as possible. Btw, do you happen to know if there's any reason to keep the ATI systray icon loaded, assuming one rarely changes Catalyst settings?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
While it is fairly simple to adjust Adobe Flash settings with the online Settings Manager, I still used to get a "run once" registry key every time I upgraded, regardless of what my settings were prior to that, so the efficacy of the online settings manager is highly questionable and obviously quite easy for Adobe to override, which is not surprising.
Now wait, those are two different things. Manually updating is not the same as having the system auto-update, or checking for updates every few hours. And I note most programs will attempt to change your settings, if they are not the default, when you manually update them. CCleaner for example, will attempt to install a toolbar, check for updates, and install several shortcut icons even if you previously had those settings disabled (this being a prime reason to ALWAYS run the custom install option and NEVER just go along with the default or "easy" install).

The annoying problem with Adobe (besides it frequently having security issues :mad:) is along the lines of what Elmer eludes to, and that is its pervasiveness and lack of user ability to easily customize the upgrade options. That said, because Adobe is frequently a target of badguys, and because it is so widely used by Internet users, then there does need to be an avenue to get updates - at least security updates - on a timely basis. Secunia PSI helps, but sadly, and also annoying is the Adobe updaters frequently leave remnants behind that PSI keeps tagging.

Reaction score
Now wait, those are two different things. Manually updating is not the same as having the system auto-update, or checking for updates every few hours.
Of course they are two different methods, but each of them are equally as intrusive and annoying. That was the point I was making. I understand the difference between manual vs automatic updating. Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear enough.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't say manually updating is the same as auto-updates.

That's just wrong.

Reaction score
You can't say manually updating is the same as auto-updates.

That's just wrong.
I did not say that. Why are certain members so anal about every iota of every comment that other members express? Intentional or not, I find that extremely annoying and I do not appreciate it, so tone down the criticism and nitpicking. I could certainly pick apart any of your remarks as well, but I do not.

I'm still relatively new here and learning as I go, FC, so cut me a little freakin slack and stop being a PITA.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Why are certain members so anal about every iota of every comment that other members express?

I find that extremely annoying and I do not appreciate it, so tone down the criticism and nitpicking. I could certainly pick apart any of your remarks as well, but I do not.

I'm still relatively new here and learning as I go, FC, so cut me a little freakin slack and stop being a PITA.
I agree the comment "that is just wrong" was not needed especially after I pointed out the same 5 hours earlier. But it seems like you slung back twice as much as you received - so perhaps taking your own advice to "tone down" would be appropriate.

It is important to note this is a "technical" forum - a place where precise information is needed to ensure no misunderstanding.

This thread was about auto-updaters, and you are right, your initial explanation was not very clear. And I note FC's comment was just 2 minutes after your clarification so perhaps he did not see your clarification before he hit submit.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree the comment "that is just wrong" was not needed especially after I pointed out the same 5 hours earlier. But it seems like you slung back twice as much as you received - so perhaps taking your own advice to "tone down" would be appropriate.

It is important to note this is a "technical" forum - a place where precise information is needed to ensure no misunderstanding.

This thread was about auto-updaters, and you are right, your initial explanation was not very clear. And I note FC's comment was just 2 minutes after your clarification so perhaps he did not see your clarification before he hit submit.
Indeed. At the time of my post (and even after I submit) Etalmar's post was different - implying that auto updating was the same as manual updating. That's what I understood, anyway.

You're basicly making my post - which was right in the first place - become wrong, and then critizising me for it.

Anyway, if you really feel targeted and criticized, I apologize as it was never my intention.

End of story.

Last edited:

Ask a Question