how to get into safe mode

Reaction score
I have recently bought windows 7,I want to know how to get into safe mode though,the obvious f8 and f5 do not work

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, tanglfoot

Can you tell us what computer you have? This will help.

Reaction score
Try the F2 key. That should bring you to the boot from menu screen with what OS you have installed. Then press F8 to get into the advance option menu where you can select safe mode amongst others.

Reaction score
Just spam the unholy bejesus out of the F8 key from the minute you turn the power to your PC on. F8 is the only key to access safe mode, and you're probably just missing the proper timing. :)

Reaction score
Hi tanglefoot45 - Welcome to w7forums

Thrax is correct, the F8 key is the only way and you have to press it at the right moment or the computer continues to boot. I usually watch for my keyboard lights to light up. Once you see the Windows Splash screen its too late.

Reaction score
Thrax; F8 doesn't work for me either, I have to use F2 then F8 for advance options. Then again I upgraded 7 over vista.

Tanglefoot: Yes, just do what Thrax said, reboot, restart your system, once the first screen appears....just start tapping the F2 key and keep tapping it until the boot menu screen appears. If F2 doesn't work, try F8, F10, F11 and the delete key with same method mentioned above.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It will depend on the make of bios.

Any of these will do it, but it is usually one of the first thre.
F1 : F2 : DEL : ESC : F10.
But often you will get a message right at the bottom of the scree, during the inirial boot.
Mine shows this:
Press <F2> to enter BIOS setup

Reaction score
If all else fails, contact you mobo manufacturer and ask them how to get into safe mode....

Reaction score
There's some confusion going on in this thread.

Some people are talking about the PC BIOS, and some people are talking about safe mode. These two things are completely unrelated.

Windows does not use the F2 key. Maybe your PC's BIOS does, but not Windows.

Reaction score
For my PC, tapping these keys

F2 - gets me into boot menu screen. (were you select your os if you have more than one os)

F8 - is with in the F2 boot menu screen and is an advance option that lets me select safe mode, safe mode with networking and so on.

Delete - gets me into my bios.

This is just for my PC, as branded PC's and self built PC's might differ.

Boot Menu.JPG

Reaction score
wrong I tried all as you advised,and after some research found that msconfig is the only way I was able to get into safe mode

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There's some confusion going on in this thread.

Some people are talking about the PC BIOS, and some people are talking about safe mode. These two things are completely unrelated.

Windows does not use the F2 key. Maybe your PC's BIOS does, but not Windows.

Too right. I must read the OP posts before plunging in!

Ask a Question