How see real path of virtual drive?

Reaction score
On a certain computer, in Windows 7, Windows Explorer, Windows Workgroup, I see a network Drive letter of, for example, "W". I happen to know that this is a virtual drive that actually points to a certain directory on my local C Drive (C:\.Data\BrowerBack). I happened to give this share a name of "BrowerBack". My question is this:

Today, I know where this W drive points to, but two months from now I may not. How can you tell where a virtual drive is actually pointing to? One would think you could right click on the virtual drive and in properties it would tell you what the actual path name is, but if this is possible, I don't see it. How can one determine what the actual path is for a vertual (mapped) drive?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply, but I think I've got an answer for you. :)

Go to the command prompt (run CMD or search for command prompt on the start menu) then run "net use". This should list the location for mapped drives.

Reaction score
Thank you for not forgetting and taking the time to investigate.

This command gives me the Sharename but does not give me the actual path to the location underneath the sharename.

Are you aware of anything that will give me a list of share names and the paths they represent.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's strange, it seems to give the full path here - what do you get when you try it at your end?

Here's my output:

Code:
C:\>net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK           Z:        \\BACKUP\Test              Microsoft Windows Network

The command completed successfully.

Reaction score
I have three virtual drives on my workgroup network. When I use Net use one of the drives is listed with the full path name. Two of them are not. Instead, these are listed as \\D810 (my computer name) and the share name. Don't know why there is a difference.

NOTE: I would have sent you a snapshot of the screen but don't know how. When I select the Insert Image icon (above) it asks me to point to a URL (http:\\). I had a snapshot of the screen in my clipboard, or I can save it to a file. How does one then get that imgage into W7?

Thank you

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you click "post reply" it should take you to a more advanced reply screen, where you can click the paperclip icon to attach the image file to your post. :)

Reaction score
Thank you for your help wrt attachments. It is still a puzzle to me as to why, when you click the insert image icon, the app would ask you for a URL. If you have time perhaps you could explain.

I have attached a screen shot of my Net Use command. The third row does show the full path for that share name. The first two rows do not. These share names are not at the root of my D810 computer.

Thank you for your help and interest.

P.S. How is it that, rather than just attach a file, you were able to make your image come up within the message and not just as an attachment?

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The image icon allows you to insert an image that is already on the net, which is probably the most popular choice. If an image needs to be uploaded, then the attachments system allows you to insert it in to a post. I agree, it's not ideal, but its the way the forum software works :). I'll create a post which explains how to upload images, as I'm sure others will be having the same problem.

If you go to \\D810\ADABack using Windows Explorer, are you able to trace the local directory? It looks like it was mounted using this share name, as you can't mount a local directory without using a UNC path like that. It all looks normal to me :)

Ask a Question