How old is your current computer?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My computer must be getting on for 3 years old now (specs listed in dropdown) and this must be the longest I've had a machine without any change :D. It still seems nippy and handles any game I want to play (albeit, not at max settings) - so I can imagine having it for another couple of years :).

5 years out of a machine seems pretty good to me!

How long have you had your current machines for ? Or, if you've upgraded, how long since the last major component update?

Reaction score
My spec P4 machine was bought brand new in 2005, but then it had a 9800 All-In-Wonder Pro and a different motherboard. At two different times, the motherboard blew the caps and the card blew out too. So now my machine is as it currently stands and is still kinda awesome for a P4 machine. It plays most of the latest games very well still, but some like the new Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, it only gets 10 fps.

I added a SATAII card and a WDCaviar Black 1 TB along the way as well.

I have another machine running Windows 7 flawlessly from 2001 and it's a non-hyperthreading P4 with 768 MB RDRAM and an NVIDIA 6200A-Le. It is perfect for interent, which is all it is really used for. It can play games well of the time and slightly newer.

Your machine is still rather excellent by any standards. No need to upgrade, IMHO. :) Maybe a better video card if you game at all and want to keep up with the times, but that 8800GTS is rather good still too, heh heh.

Reaction score
My Current one is an Acer Aspire AX1301 listed in profile, its just over 12 months old, I did hesitate to actually buy it as it is not small and compact, i was worried about being able to upgrade graphics at the time for the lack of space, but i am glad i got it as i have never had any trouble with this machine 'fingers crossed' and haven't upgraded anything in it to date. it is a very fast and quiet machine.

I usually buy a new pc every 2-3 years but i like to pick up 2nd hand one to mess about with too.

I also have An another Acer desktop 18 months - Dell desktop 2yrs - sony viao laptop bout 16 months, that will be the missus's so that dont count.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
My netbook is 1 year old. Home PC is 4 years old and I've got two old 6 year old laptops (still working great.)

Reaction score
Are they all windows 7 machines? i think he meant.

Reaction score
I have a laptop that is 5 yrs old specs in drop down.all ive added is memory to run win 7 then I have a desktop thats about a yr old

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have 2 laptops, the same make and model, both are a year old.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
This set up is nearly on its 1st birthday. My old (?) PC still goes (went) last time I tried it. That's as old as XP is, with the ram doubled (512mb) and a new (to me) 60Gb HDD.

Luckily I convinced SWMBO it was time I left the 19th century!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Here on Planet X, my home-built is about 19 months old, I built it in April of 2009.

The only difference between now and then is that I switched to Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RAM plus adding 2 more GB in the process. Also a Radeon HD5770 video card, which was a gift.

Previous to that the computer this build replaced was built in 2002 and had a new motherboard put in it in 2004, due to that notorious faulty capacitor issue that a lot of users dealt with (or didn't as in DELL's case).

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Are they all windows 7 machines? i think he meant.
Oooooh. Right :)
Nah, I'm the only one with Windows 7. The others have XP, Vista, Ubuntu or Snow Leopard.

I only mentioned 4 computers, but I have 7 ;) That's why I got confused.

Reaction score
Had (6) six, donated (4) four to local service centers, this year.
Approximate ages of the (2) two I am using,
first one (6) six years and using Windows XP SP3 x86 "upgrade" Home Edition,
second one (18 months) eighteen months and using Windows 7 x64 "upgrade" Home Premium.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My motherboard is currently a year old whilst the most recent update would be a 600W OCZ PSU and a 5870. I always try and build some future proofing into the machine as well as having a decent upgrade path.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
My comp (listed in my specs) is only a few months old (win7), my previous machine that the hubbie now has is 5 years and going fine (win7), his old comp is now in storage (it's got XP Pro on it) and I think that machine is around 8 or 9 years old. Hubbie also has a laptop around 8 months old (win7).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This machine now (as listed in my specs) I built for Win7 when Win7 went final last October.

I refused to migrate to Vista so my previous machine was an Intel P4 with 1Gb of RAMBUS memory running XP SP3 that I built in 2002. So it was 7+ years old. In fact, I was still happy with it. I had upgraded the CPU once, and it had a newer graphics card (still AGP though) but it was still pretty snappy. Or so I thought. Now when I go back to it (I use it now as a network storage device) it seems agonizingly slow compared to this machine and I wonder how I lived that that old dinosaur for so long! ;)

Reaction score
I've had mine about 6 months, the one in my specs. Desktop, W7 64 bit and runs great. Best computer I've had. I expect this one to be around for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
RAMBUS lol right....as I've said, I have a P4 1.5 GHz machine with 768 MB of that....rare memory that costs a fortune to upgrade or add to and probably 1/10 the performance of today's DDR3.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
RAMBUS lol right....as I've said, I have a P4 1.5 GHz machine with 768 MB of that....rare memory that costs a fortune to upgrade or add to and probably 1/10 the performance of today's DDR3.
I have 1 gig of rambus. The bidding will start at 4:00.................:D

Ask a Question