How do I create a bootable system backup disc

Reaction score
I plan on buying a new computer with win 7. After installing all my programs, I would like to create a bootable disc so that all my programs & OS will automatically install off the one disc if I have to reformat in the future. Any input would be appreciated.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you have an external hard drive? If you do, you can use Acronis True Image to do an image backup of your computer.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I dont think you will be able to squeeze it onto even a double DVD. Best plan is a separate partiton, large enough to take the completed OS (What have you got, 16 to 20 Gbs)?
Macrium have a free image making program.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You gave me something to think about. I thought it would be easier. And not so large. I can use my external HD. Thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You gave me something to think about. I thought it would be easier. And not so large. I can use my external HD. Thanks
Yes, an external drive is the best way to go, plus it's fastest. Good Choice!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You will have the option (at least with some brands) to make a set of recovery discs. I have an HP and it was an option for me. If your new computer does not come with recovery discs, there will most likely be the option to create them. Please do so, they won't have your programs on them, but you can bring the computer back to factory condition. Also there may or may not be a small partition (your recovery partition). Don't delete or otherwise mess with this, as it saved my butt three days ago. It's a small partition, less than 15GB and it should never be messed with. Please READ your owner's manual carefully concerning this. In most instances, you can make this set of discs once during the lifetime of the computer, and although they won't have all of your programs on them, they at some point will be a lifesaver for you. Most PC builders (HP, Dell, etc) no longer supplies these discs unless you order and pay for them as an option. So please make them. As Nibiru2012 stated, you can create an entire backup with the program he suggested, or the one of your choice. I used the Windows backup program and done it on a WD passport (these don't cost much, and are reliable). I see where you already have an external HD, so you really have all that you need to start with, unless you decide to download the program that Nibiru2012 mentioned. Good luck with everything, and hope to see you on the forum again soon, letting us know how you came out. Should you have any problems, post it, someone usually is online.

Ask a Question