How COLD is it where you live in the USA?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's cold here in Central Texas today, in addition we're experiencing rolling blackouts statewide!

Two power generating plants went offline around 5 AM this morning due to the heavy electrical load of keeping homes and businesses heated.

So far as of 9:18 AM CST, our neighborhood has experienced 5 power outages averaging anywhere from one hour to 30 minutes.

ALL cities in Texas are having to do this according to an emergency plan they follow when a power plant goes offline. The entire power grid in the state of Texas is affected.

It is 20 F right now with a high of 29 F expected today. Wind chill of 0 to 4 F.

VERY UNUSUAL weather indeed!

What about others who may live in Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.?

Interstate 70 across Missouri from Kansas City to St. Louis was closed yesterday for the FIRST TIME in its existence!

The Texans are freakin' out around here for sure. Having grown up in the Rockies, I can manage, but still get a little chilly.

Reaction score
you mean to tell that newyork is warmer then Texas wow thats a shock
26.2 °F
Feels Like 26 °F

Light Snow

thats as of 11:44 est
theres has not been any black outs yet

Reaction score
Weather in WNY

Nib~

Its cold here as well .. not sure of the EXACT temp(depends on the area you live and what weather channel you look at LOL .

But i do know is is COLD and snowy.

I live in Lockport,NY right on the Niagara Escarpment.. and SOMETIMES the weather "peters out" before it gets to us from the southtowns(Jamestown, Olean,Orchard park, etc) but this storm IS hitting us , just not as bad as we originally thought.

Its like a "frezing snow" type of precipitaion. It's at that "funky temperature" where it could acctually go either way ... either to rain or snow. Just depends on how the wind is blowing.

There is an OLD saying(acctually 2 to be honest) here in Western New York about the weather.
1) Wait 5 minutes and it will change.
2) Western NY is one of the only places where you can experince all 4 seasons in one day.

And both of those saying are 100% true.. I have personally experinced both of them, on more than one occasion :)

~LoneWolf

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that is cold for Texas :eek:

It's 50F where I live in the UK (10C) - I never expected Texas to be colder!

Do you ever get snow there?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ian - we usually don't get snow here in the Austin area, once every two or three year, usually just a light dusting. Northern Texas gets a lot more snow, especially in the Panhandle region.

Dallas got about 4-6 inches yesterday and it looks like it is gonna be cold Super Bowl Sunday... maybe. However the domed stadium is heated so those at least inside will be cozy.

It is supposed to be in the mid-60's by Sat. & Sun. here in Central Texas.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
but this storm IS hitting us , just not as bad as we originally thought.
Same here in eastern upstate NY.

15 to 30 inches was predicted for us but only got 12. It's been in the low 20's all day.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Here in Midland, TX it's 9 F this morning...froze my balls just letting the dogs out.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Well it is currently a balmy 14F in beantown. We got over 70 inches of snow so far this year (average is 42 inches). EEK

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
My sister and her husband are flying home to Boston later today. I hope Logan is accepting jetliners.

Ask a Question