How can I download Easy Transfer to a different drive/partition?

Reaction score
I originally set up Easy Transfer to move programs from my C: drive that had no partition.

I decided to load Win 7 on a partitioned drive with the OS in one partition (Drive e: with 80 GB) and the rest of the data in the other partition on the same drive, showing as drive F: with 920 GB, (1 TB physical drive)

When I try to transfer the data from my external hard drive, it wants to download it all into the small partition E: . There is not enough room and the program fills up the small partition and stops.

How can I specify that it should DL the data to my larger partitioned drive E:?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't follow - you have 2 drives with the letter E on the same pc?

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't follow - you have 2 drives with the letter E on the same pc?
Both drives referred to as E: are the same drive.

How can I specify that it should DL the data to my larger partitioned drive E:?
I'm thinking this is also a typo. The larger drive is referred to earlier as F:

Wish I could help. I used Easy Transfer one time during the Beta/RC time frame and didn't find it helpful.
  1. I still needed to reinstall all my programs.
  2. I keep all my data elsewhere.
I am confused, Is this a dual boot machine. When finished are you going to boot to drive E:.

If so you may want to boot to E: and then change your "Programs Files" and "Data Folder" location to F:. I'm not for sure but this may fix "Easy Transfer" and place your files on F:.

Reaction score
Both drives referred to as E: are the same drive.

I'm thinking this is also a typo. The larger drive is referred to earlier as F:

Wish I could help. I used Easy Transfer one time during the Beta/RC time frame and didn't find it helpful.
  1. I still needed to reinstall all my programs.
  2. I keep all my data elsewhere.
I am confused, Is this a dual boot machine. When finished are you going to boot to drive E:.

If so you may want to boot to E: and then change your "Programs Files" and "Data Folder" location to F:. I'm not for sure but this may fix "Easy Transfer" and place your files on F:.

I have been unclear. I installed a new disk for my Win 7 install. I have a small partition of 80 gb on the new disk that the computer named Drive E: ---- The rest of the disk is called Drive F:

Easy Transfer wants to transfer ALL the files from my old XP drive to the small partition on the new disk. I want it to transfer them to the larger partition.

Reaction score
Bill Easy Transfer should allow you to create a backup image and place it anywhere you want. If you are trying to move them straight over, then a Operating system may need to be installed first.

Create your backup image with Easy Transfer. After installing Windows 7 you can then use Easy Transfer again to restore some or all of your image.

Here is a w7forums article on the topic - https://www.w7forums.com/windows-easy-transfer-t829.html

Reaction score
Bill Easy Transfer should allow you to create a backup image and place it anywhere you want. If you are trying to move them straight over, then a Operating system may need to be installed first.

Create your backup image with Easy Transfer. After installing Windows 7 you can then use Easy Transfer again to restore some or all of your image.

Here is a w7forums article on the topic - https://www.w7forums.com/windows-easy-transfer-t829.html

Clifford,

I did use ET to create a backup image, actually two backup images. One, like in the link you provided, is my personal user files. This is about 43gb. The remainder is about 242gb and has an image of "Shared".

I created an 80gb partition on my new 1TB drive, leaving about 900 gb in the second partition. Then I installed the Win7 OS to my new drive in the smaller partition. This worked out fine.

Then I went to ET and began transferring the files. The problem is that ET wants to transfer ALL the files, both the Personal User 43gb AND the "Shared" - 242 gb to the small partition.

I cannot find a way to transfer the "Shared" files on ET to the second partition on my new 1 TB drive.

I feel that I am being redundant and apologize for this. I may be being overly "wordy" in the hopes that I may say something that someone will notice, say "AHA" and tell me there is a simple answer (there usually is) and some "switch" that will allow me to transfer my files to the second, larger partition.

I have been trying to solve this for about a week. My frustration is mounting.

Maybe it would be best to just format the new drive back to blank and reinstall Windows 7 and ALL my migratable [sp?] files in one partition, maybe you would call this "no partition?"

Could I safely do this? My ET files are all on an external drive. My original XP files and system are on another drive. Would I be best to just wipe the new Win 7 drive and just do a straight install to one, big, unpartitioned disk? I would guess all my data should be safe.

My troubles all seemed to happen when I tried to install Windows OS on an 80 gb small partition.

One more question, while I have been installing my programs, they all want to default to install on my smaller partition. Most of them, I can tell to install on the larger partition, but I have to change the drive letter.

FI I get "Install to E:\program files\new program". I have to change the drive letter to F: instead of E:, with a lot of programs, this gets to be a hassle. Is there some way to change the default location of new programs so I don't fill up my 80 GB partition? Or should these programs be installed on the small partition with data files on the larger?

Sorry to be such a bother.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Reaction score
If you made these changes to Windows before using Easy Transfer. Easy Transfer may use the new locations. I have not tested this theory so I wouldn't know for sure if it will or not.

How To Change The Default Program Files Location For Installing Software in Windows

If you wanted to start all over with one drive I see no reason why you couldn't. You have not wiped your original OS. All you would need to do is reinstall Windows 7 to a single partition using all the drive. However you are partitioned exactly the way I would do so right now.

Ask a Question