hidden, but still active user account

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question regarding network sharing files and printers with different Windows OS's.

With the new Homegroup feature of Windows 7, this is quite simple.

But when one has to set up a network with earlier windows versions (XP, Vista), a different approach is necessary. But I how how to do this, and that is not my question at the moment :)

Problem is that when one shares a folder and/or printer on a certain pc with Vista or XP, one must still know a local user name and password for that PC.

For example:
- folder "music": read, no write access
- folder "pictures": read, no write access
- folder "uploads": read and write access

That's why I want to create an additional user name, e.g. "LAN" (with "123" as the password). When other (non-7) users want to access these folders, they'd have to log in with "LAN" as user name and "123" as password.

I once succeeded in adding this special user account to my list, though invisible (for security reasons so that no one can use this account to log in on my pc locally).

Now I don't know how to do that anymore :eek:. I mean, I can add it, but the moment i want to hide it, it is also inactive (I swear this wasn't the case last time I tried this out). Which means that other users cannot log in to my folders anymore, or they'd have to use my personal username and password.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question