SOLVED Help with volume pop-up bar

Reaction score
I just got a new computer with windows 7 the other day andevery time I change the volume, a bar comes up in the middle of the screen to show you what it's set too. This is very annoying and when I'm playing a game, it minimizes the window to show it, and I change the volume a lot when I play, so this is a big problem.

Here is a screen shot you show you what I mean.
http://i47.tinypic.com/idrbk6.png

I've looked all over my computer trying to find where I can turn this off, but can't find it. I even looked all over the net to see what I could find and nothing!
I hope this problem gets fixed soon.

EDIT: Solved!

I found the problem, and it wasn't the keyboard!
I ran msconfig and went to start up and saw something called HP MediaSmart SmartMenu that runs when my computer starts up, so i turned that off and it doesn't come up anymore!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's probably your mouse or keyboard doing it. Install a generic driver instead, as opposed to the ones from Logitech or whatnot.

If you do this though, you will lose a lot of features if the mouse or keyboard has any "extras."

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Since you have an HP computer, it's probably coming from an HP based application.
See if you can disable that application. That is not a normal Windows 7 volume bar.

Reaction score
Since you have an HP computer, it's probably coming from an HP based application.
See if you can disable that application. That is not a normal Windows 7 volume bar.
Well, I'm using HP keyboard to control the volume, so how do I make it stop doing that?

Reaction score
Install a generic keyboard driver for the machine instead of the manufacturer's driver.

Reaction score
I ran msconfig and went to start up and saw something called HP MediaSmart SmartMenu that runs when my computer starts up, so i turned that off and it doesn't come up anymore!

Reaction score
Awesome! Good job.

You can use Regedit to completely remove the startup entry if you follow the key shown in msconfig. (Type Regedit in the start menu and hit enter.)

Or you could leave it so you can re-enable with msconfig at any time of your choosing.

Reaction score
I had identical problem with the volume and brightness bar that did not fade out.
Using a Thinkpad with Windows 7, here is a solution.
1 right click desktop ->personalize.
2.on bottom left of opened window, click on Display
3 on display window, click on change display settings
4 click on advanced settings
5 the new window shows the icon 'on screen display'. Click on on screen display
6 Check mark 'on screen display' if it not yet checked.
Last, select the fadeout time to 1,2, 3, or 4 seconds. That will make the insidious bar fade out.

My PC configuration had a fadeout time unselected, resulting with a permanent display of the bar.
:)

Reaction score
I have to say that your advice does not correct the problem, it only puts a band aid on it. i did what u said and yeah the bar doesnt pop up but the sounds still adjusts itself automatically which is a big PITA. how can i get THAT to stop???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is not a normal Windows 7 volume bar.
Because W7 doesn't have a volume bar.

No it wouldn't be the keyboard hardware, it is extra software often installed along with the drivers FOR the keyboard to process multimedia keys or extra buttons like calculator or maybe even to simply display an on-screen volume indicator.

At any rate, you found it and fixed it. Welcome to w7forums.

Ask a Question