Help with search engine hijacker.

Reaction score
Connect DLC5 Toolbar for IE won't let me delete in from my programs in the control panel. Windows says I don't have sufficient access to delete this terrible thing. How do I delete it? I also want to delete Google Chrome Frame and I'm getting a similar error from Windows. How can I delete both and clean my computer without a commercial cleaner? Thanks.

Reaction score
These are of course standard things that I think most people already know and I have tried. None work. What I need is someone who has useful knowledge how to get rid of my problem.

Reaction score
Clifford, if you really read my post you would see that I said they could not be uninstalled from the control panel because Windows 7 said I didn't have sufficient access and I am the only one logged on the computer and the only one with access. If you had given any real help I would gladly thank you, but simplistic basic suggestions are a waste of your time and my time. If you don't have answers don't call me ungrateful, "sir". By the way there is no "Internet Options" in the control panel for Windows 7. Not sure what you mean there. Microsoft Security Essentials did nothing to keep this out and I can find nothing on their website about WOT.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All parties who choose to be involved in this thread going forward should keep posts factual and respectful or it will be closed.

NOW, moving on ...

Joseph, are you still able to log on as an administrator? I ask because if your account no longer is an administrator that requires extra work to take back your computer and you can skip all the rest of this for now.

And yes, you should be able to find Internet Options in the Control Panel. If you use Category View rather than Icon View for your Control Panel then you have to look under "Network and Internet".

If you can log on as an Administrator ...
then please download and install the free version of Malwarebytes. If you already have anti-virus software installed then DO NOT let Malwarebytes activate the free trial version (the free version is passive and works with other A/V programs but the Trial version is active and you should never have two active A/V scanners running)

Long term advice: No matter what software you install, even Malwarebytes and CCleaner, read the descriptions beside all check boxes and unless you are sure it is something you need or want then uncheck them, especially toolbars or a free trials of anything. And anything that offers a free scan to speed up your PC or repair your registry, just don't download/run those at all.

If you get Malwarebytes to install then start it and allow it to update it's database but don't actually run the scan at this time.

Once Malwarebytes is updated, shut down your computer. Then reboot and Hit F8 until you get a boot menu. Boot up in "safe mode without networking".

These next steps are all done in Safe Mode ...

Go to Control Panel>Programs and features and uninstall "Conduit Toolbar" if it is there. Please let us know if it was not there or if you get an error then record the error and post that information with your next reply.

Go to Programs and Features again and uninstall "Connect DLC ..." if it is there. Again let us know the results.

Run a complete scan with Malwarebytes and when it is complete allow it to unistall any Malware it found.

Reboot your computer.

Now in normal mode ...

Open IE ...
select Tools > Manage Add-ons, Toolbars and extensions Tab and remove Connect and any other toolbars you don't use. Then in Tools > Internet Options replace the conduit homepage with your preferred URL.

Open Chrome ...
Select the Customize Icon > Tools > Extensions. Find conduit and any other you don't want and click the trashcan. Then hit the customize Icon > Settings. In the section "On Startup" click the Set Pages link. Remove the conduit URL and put in your own homepage.

Reply with the results.

Reaction score
First let me say thank you for the detailed reply. I believe I have followed your instructions exactly. I was able to download and install Malwarebytes' and I did not run a scan. I turned off the computer and rebooted and pressed F8 before the Windows icon and found "Safe Mode" which I presume is what you want as there is no "Safe Mode without networking". I then went to Control Panel>Programs and tried to uninstall "Connect DLC5 Toolbar for IE" and got the same error message as follows: "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Connect DLC5 Toolbar for IE. Please contact your system administrator." I have confirmed I am the only administrator for this computer Azza1 that is part of my home group. I do not use a password. There is no one else with administrator privileges, and the guest is turned off. I also tried to uninstall Google Chrome Frame and got this error: a red circle in the upper left hand corner of the window with a white X through the circle and this error " The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." I have stopped there to await your suggestions. I have not tried to run Malwarebytes' and I had Microsoft Security Essentials turned off while I installed it and I will now turn it back on. I hope you have more suggestions. I am really stuck, and nothing I have searched on the internet seems to have an answer. Can't Microsoft put a fix in their Malware destruction Tool to find and destroy these two things? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From that error message it sounds like maybe your installer is corrupted. I honestly don't think that issue would be caused by Connect DLC but it would be something that needs corrected so you can uninstall. Could you run this Microsoft Fix-it for the Installer? (Run in normal not Safe Mode)

Reaction score
Your fixit solution did allow me to remove Google Chrome Frame but not Connect DLC 5 Toolbar for IE, because Connect DLC 5 Toolbar for IE was not listed as a program I want to uninstall in the list from fixit. Now when I go to control panel>programs and I click uninstall after highlighting this, nothing happens. No messages, no errors, nothing at all. In searching the internet I have found these things related to Connect DLC 5 Toolbar for IE. A reported uninstaller command is: C:\Program Files\Connect_\uninstall.exe but I have not tried to run that from a command prompt or with elevated administrative privileges. Should I try that? This also appears to be associated with Conduit Ltd & Nv3DVidionlePlugin64.dll although I'm not sure how it is related. I also found mention of this file: C:\Program Files(x86)\Connect_DLC_5 but I don't know what it's for and a search of my Program Files doesn't show it. I have also found this website but have not visited it: Connectdlc5.ourtoolbar.com. There also seem to have been previous versions 2, 3, & 4. It has been called a malware and search engine hijacker rather than a virus. It does change my search engine options, but I have been able to stop that and delete it from search engine options. Malwarebytes' has offered to remove this for an additional fee, should I try that? I have not run the Malwarebytes' you had me download, do you suggest I try running that program? If I do run it are you suggesting I run it in Windows7, or in safe mode? Since Connect DLC 5 Toolbar for IE is listed as a program in control panel why does a search for a file or folder with those characters not turn up on a search of Program Files? I have also been told to locate LS_HSI.msi at C:\Program Files\common but I couldn't find anything there, if I found it I was told to R click it>delete, and run as administrator. Another file I found was: ConnectDLC.OurToolbar.com/help but I haven't gone there either. Is there any advantage to trying to do any of these things with elevated administrator privileges? Is there any place at Microsoft I can write them about this problem?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you install Connect DLC it also installs Conduit so yes Connect can be associated with files that include "conduit" in them. I believe Conduit is what actually changes your search defaults and homepage. If there is a conduit in control panel > programs & features then please uninstall that. Whether there is or isn't a Conduit, go ahead and try running the Connect\uninstall.exe you found.

Malwarebytes does not require an additional fee to run manually, that is only to activate the full version and you don't need that. As I said before do not even allow the "free trial" of the full version, you strictly want the manual scan. So run the FREE manually started Malwarebytes in Safe Mode and when it completes tell it to clean up anything it finds.

LS_HSI.msi should be for lightscribe (laser etching the tops of DVDs) and in most cases is perfectly safe but would be of no value removing your problem. Even if a virus was hiding as that filename you wouldn't want to run it, so I don't know why anyone would suggest that. Sounds more like they were offering advice on a possible way to uninstall Lightscribe. As I said, I wouldn't bother with this file.

Microsoft didn't cause the problem, it was caused by you giving permission to software you should not have installed, so there isn't really anything Microsoft will do for you; at least not for free. Microsoft does have a forum similar to the forums here but it would just be more unpaid volunteers just like those of us here, trying to walk you through different things to try.

If I was at your house I could probably get rid of the majority of it in 4 hours or less because I have experience with this type thing but it is difficult telling someone.

For instance, if the uninstall is gone from Programs and Features then I would go delete the entire folder C:\Program Files\Connect_ same with any folders that seem to be conduit. Program_Files is a protected folder so the average user can not just delete files from there but I know how to Take Ownership and then delete them.

I also know to look in msconfig.exe for "strange" services and startup programs but if you don't know what is "normal" it's difficult to tell you.

That's why Best Buy charges something like $169 to fix these type things ... because people are always willing to install anything that pops up in their email or on a website and then they are desparate to remove it but don't know what to look for.

Reaction score
I've done a search for both C:\Program Files\Connect_same and any files that contain conduit but the search has not shown any files with those names. I will run the Malwarebytes' in safe mode. I may also look at msconfig.exe to see if I can find anything I recognize from my searches on the internet. I have of course tried all the regular means to find files with Connect and conduit to delete. I have not intentionally downloaded any programs that I though suspicious. The only things I have done recently is try WWII fighter games Aces High and World of WarPlanes. I have cancelled AcesHIgh because I can't find proper instructions. I'm still using World of WarPlanes but not to happy with it. The older version of Aces High was a great game. Thanks for your time and help. If I still have problems would you suggest a complete format of my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 as a final solution?

Reaction score
Greetings~

If I may provide some help here as well :)

There IS a program (other than the one Trainableman has suggested .. which by the way are all good programs and he gives SOLID advice)

The one I will suggest is "a bit" on the "techie side of things" but if you have the right people looking at the results they can point you in the right direction.

The program I suggest is located at the following link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/

Download and save the executable (the blue button that says DOWNLOAD NOW EXE version) and then run it. It should show as v2.0.4
This program does not have to be run in safe mode.

When you run the program have it scan and save a log file.

You can then upload or copy and paste the log file here and I can take a look at it for you .

This program, on more than one occasion, has 'saved my bacon' on mine and other computers.

If you choose to use this program
The program itself is quick to scan but also quite powerful so DON'T remove or repair anything till you see me give the ok as to what can be removed and what can't. Removing the WRONG entry can make things worse.

Depending on when you submit the log file to here .. it may take a bit for me to get to it ( I'm on the east coast of the US) So I'll either be able to get to it this evening or after work tomorrow.

***DISCLAIMER ****

I do not work for the company that makes this program .. I am just offering it as advice as to help solve the issue.
***END DISCLAIMER

Hope this helps and will allow things to get back to normal for your system.
~LoneWolf

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
HijackThis could give some useful information but Joseph, after you install and run it, please don't start checking things and hitting "Fix this". Just post the results of the scan and let lonewolfmage look it over.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question