Help with folder views

Reaction score
Hello everyone...
I am currently using Vista and thinking about making the move to 7. However on a friends laptop I noticed something in 7 that seems like a bit of a pain in the ass and was wondering if anyone knew how to make it like I have on Vista.
When I open a folder in Explorer, the default setting gives me a view of all my folders on the left side of the window so I can easily drag files from the open folder to any folder I want without having to navigate all over the place. Yet in 7 the default setting gives me things like "Desktop, Favorites, Libraries, Music, Pictures, Recent Places", etc. I have to start at "Local Disk (C)" and navigate thru the entire hard drive to find the folder I want every time I open a new folder window in Explorer. Can I set it in 7 so that it opens to my root folder (Rob) by default and I can just navigate to specific folders from there without having all the extra stuff in the left side of the window? It seems like a simple thing but I can't figure out how to do it.
Thanks in advance....
Rob

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need to enable this in Tools > Folder Options > General Tab
There put check marks on both options under Navigation Pane.
Then go to "View" tab and scroll to the bottom then put check mark next to "Show Drive Letter"
Apply > OK
And you all set.

Reaction score
Thanks pcnube :)

If you don't see the Menu Bar for the Tools option press "Alt key" to temporarily show the Menu Bar.

A quicker option to toggle the views afterward: Right Click inside the white area of the Navigation Pane and select or deselect the "Show all folders".

Reaction score
Thank you both. I won't be able to try this for a day or two but I will definitely report back when I do.

Ask a Question