SOLVED Help with clean install

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
after this step

and before windows restarts automatically here

DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE CD/DVD out of the laptop?

Reaction score
Hi Kalario - Welcome to w7forums

You can leave the Install media in the drive until Windows is fully installed. When the DVD boots it will ask if you want to boot from the DVD, you should only press a key to boot the DVD once in the very beginning. After Windows starts and installs files to the HD, booting to the DVD is no longer needed. however the DVD may still be needed until the install process is completed.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

This is my first ever clean install, so I am a little nervous I screw something up :eek:

Edit: oh boy, this is not looking good. Now I get this error after this screen

and the error is:

"Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation"

Anyone knows what is happening?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is pretty simple.

Seeing how it is a clean install, there is not much that can go wrong. There has been others doing the install for the first time and was shocked at how simple and smooth things went. I do hope your experience goes just as smoothly as the others.

Remember all your hardware drivers and software will need to be installed afterward. If you need further assistance, there are many people here that can guide you through the process. :) All you need to do is ask and if anyone knows the answer they will be more than happy to help.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Clifford, I am still stuck in the middle of the install. see previous post :(

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Help !!! Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I am installing a x64 version on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop

Reaction score
OK - After you select custom install you will have the option to select the destination drive. When you select the drive look under for an advanced option. In the advanced options you can format the drive. It might be best if you format the drive before you install the media.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
that is what I did, I deleted the partitions and started from scratch. I was hoping for this to be an easy install, instead it's turning out to be a nightmare...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a recovery partition on the drive?
This has caused problems in the past with other members.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you allow the Windows install to create the 100MB partition by default? It's part of the MBR or master boot record.

Basically, that's it. What I've done in the past is to create a 64GB partition to install Windows 7 to, and leave the other partition as a "miscellaneous" one, for downloads and storage.

Actually I make the partition a 65639MB size, which is 64.1GB, then the Windows install makes the 100MB partition and leaves the partition then as a 64GB size. I install to it. Like I said the remaining part of the hard drive I make as another partition for the other stuff.

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
there is no recovery partition. I only see 1 partition with Total Size 74.5 BG and Free Space of 74.5GB

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Did you allow the Windows install to create the 100MB partition by default? It's part of the MBR or master boot record.

Basically, that's it. What I've done in the past is to create a 64GB partition to install Windows 7 to, and leave the other partition as a "miscellaneous" one, for downloads and storage.
Do I create a 'new' partition with 64GB and install win 7 on it?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So your total hard drive size is about a 160GB? One partition with 74.5 GB and the rest is free space of 74.5 GB?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Do I create a 'new' partition with 64GB and install win 7 on it?
Yeah, it will give you plenty of room for all the software you may install. Then use the remaining space like I said.

What is the total size of your hard drive by the way?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
This is what I have now:

Disk 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 100MB - System
Disk 0 Partition 2: 62.4GB - Primary
Disk 0 Unallocated Space: 12GB

Should I install on Partition 2?

Edit: Should I format any partition?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your drive is only 74.5GB then don't make a 64GB partition. However Windows 7 will run on a 20GB partition. Then you can setup the remainder for data and so on.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, install on partition 2 and leave the 12GB space for download and other stuff.

You can format it later through the Control Panel in Disk Management.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If your drive is only 74.5GB then don't make a 64GB partition. However Windows 7 will run on a 20GB partition. Then you can setup the remainder for data and so on.

It depends on how much software you're going to install. Most people I know of make a minimum partition size of 36 to 48 GB in size. Personally, I have over 20GB of installed software and that is NOT count something like Photoshop or other large programs.

For you 36GB would be the smallest I would recommend. But C_C know his stuff also. Just depends on how much software you want to install.

One of these days you may want to install a larger hard drive like a 160GB one or so. Also increase the RAM to at least 2GB, Windows 7 likes lots of RAM

Last edited:

Ask a Question