Help will be needed.

Reaction score
Hi all. Firstly I am a pensioner and also new to computing and would like some information on how to do a clean install on the computer I have been given. It has windows 98 and windows xp. I only want to put windows 7 on when it is released. I don't want the others.

So can anyone help and tell me how to do it please.

Ken

Reaction score
Hi humbercoastguard - Welcome to the site

We will need to know if your computer will run with Windows 7 installed on it?

Can you tell us a little about your computer. Processor speed and memory capacity would be a good start.

The reason I ask is if it has Windows 98 on it. There is a good chance your computer is too old to run Windows 7. One of which is the memory requirement. Any thing less than 512MB of Memory will not be a good system for Windows 7. That is if you can even install Windows 7 with less than 512MB.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Does it have Windows 98 or XP installed on it presently? If so, it would make it easier to determine what hardware the PC has. Like CC said, it may not run Windows 7 and you may be better off using XP on it.

Reaction score
James and CC are both right, your specs sound really old as they are running 98 and XP.
However to determine your PC's specs you can install Everest for Free. This will give you a list of details about your computer.
If you can tell us, or screenshot, your screen with the everest info on, that will be very helpful.

Reaction score
Hi, The computer is 4 years old and I am the latest, my grandson gave it to me and he said that where he got it put windows98 on and hen the grandson put xp on.
Now to answer you questions whic I got from the Belarc Advisor programme, it was bought from PC World and it has a 3.20 ghz Pentium 4 Processor, 16 kilobyte 'primary memory cache, 2048 kilbyte secondary memory cache, 64 bit ready.

I hope I sent the right details.

Ken

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The amount of installed RAM would be good to know as well.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Thats good so far - I wasn't expecting a 3.2GHz P4

I'm assuming you have enough Memory

What you listed is Processor Cache - Its not the same memory

If you only want Windows 7. Then you should repartition and format your Hard Drive with Windows 7 DVD when you get it. This will remove all the files on the drive. So if there is anything on the drive you will want to keep. You should make sure you have all the data backed up first. The install process is simple and easy to understand.

Reaction score
Good morning all, I downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it says:-
RAM 1.00GB, your computer meets the requirement of 1GB of RAMfor 32bit-bit Windows7 but you need at least 2GBor RAM for 64-bit version.

Ken

Reaction score
You are good to go with that system its slightly better in processor power than mine and I have been running Windows 7 since February.

One thing though I did however need to upgrade my onboard video. I purchased a PCIe graphics card for about $40.

Out of curiousity did the upgrade advisor say anything about your video specs.

Reaction score
The only things to be dealt with after installing window's 7 are:- Back up system first ( I will be asking for help with that) and back up all files and get the programmes ready that will you require. Realtek AC'97 Audio, ATI SMBus and ATI Radion xpress which it says can be dealt by running windows update and 3 programmes ATI Catalyst Control Center, PowerDVD and Messenger updates from manufactures web sites.
Every else has got a green tick.
I have just been given disk's for Office 2003 and Works 8.5 which I hope will work.

Ken

Reaction score
Looks like you have it under control.

What exactly are you needing help with on the backup process. The hardware drivers can be downloaded and placed on a CD or DVD waiting for Windows 7 to be installed. If you dont have any data that you need to backup. I wouldnt worry to much about a backup.

One of our moderators mentioned that the Windows 7 DVD will have a program that will let you back up in WinXP and then restore in Win7. However you are limited to the number of things you can carry to Win7 from WinXP.
You can however use the Windows Easy Transfer tool to transfer some things. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...windows-7.aspx

Windows Easy Transfer (Migwiz.exe) is available on the Windows 7 DVD in the Support\Migwiz directory, you can run the DVD and browse to it within XP to execute it and transfer some data and settings that way.
I do have one thought on the ATI Catalyst Center. ATI dropped older driver support in "ATI Catalyst Center Version 9.4". It maybe Version 9.3 that you need for legacy support. I mentioned I upgraded to a newer card. This card will take all newer drivers. But if I take the card out and use the onboard I will need the legacy support from Version 9.3.

Reaction score
I think you answered my question by saying copy to a cd.
I may have this wrong but according to Berlarc under Catalyst Control Center Version 1.11.0.0 I may have got it all wrong..

The main problem as I said earlier was how do I get rid of Win98 and XP and only have windows 7 on the computer or do you think I should keep xp as wel as 7?

Ken

Reaction score
You can Dual Boot XP and Windows 7 if this is what you want to do.

But in order to remove Windows 98 and Windows XP. If you only want one drive you will need to remove both partitions and then setup only one partition. I am assuming you only have one hard drive. If you have two drive, Both drives can simply be reformated.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think if you could add another GB of RAM, you would be pleased with the results. These days, 2 or 3 GB RAM for the 32-bit versions of Vista/Win7 are typical.
Use the Memory Upgrade Advisor at Crucial to determine the correct type of RAM for your system:
http://www.crucial.com/

Reaction score
I think I will get rid of windows 98 and dual boot with XP and 7, is that easy to sort out?
I will get the computer sorted for more RAM.
I have only one hard drive but if I got a external hard drive would that be OK.

Ken

Reaction score
OK - For dual booting you will need atleast two partitions. One partition for each OS installed. One more if you are thinking about having a data drive. First rule for booting multiple Operating System(OS) is to install the oldest OS first and then move up to the newer OS. The newer OS's are programed to handle the older OS's and will allow for multiple booting.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ken, are you sure you want to dual boot? Are there any special reasons why you would want to do so? I'm not against dual booting, but unless you need access to both Operating Systems it would be best to stick to one, in which case I would recommend Windows 7.
If you want to dual boot, check out a post on my site that has a few helpful links: http://www.windowstalk.org/index.php/2009/05/dual-boot-windows-7-and-vista-or-xp/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having second thoughts now about dual booting so I will now just have windows 7, so is that easy to get rid of XP and only have 7?

Ken .

Ask a Question