SOLVED Help, favorites

Reaction score
Hi, new member here pleading for help. I was creating a backup of my favorites on a flash drive when I accidentally deleted my favorites file from my C drive. I had them stored on my flash drive, so I created a new favorites folder on my C drive, but now my favorites are only displayed and functional when I have my flash drive inserted. It's like my computer has assigned my H drive favorites folder as my favorites file. Does that make sense? Without the flash drive inserted, I see no favorites and I cannot save any favorites. It's driving me nuts! Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe what happened is you MOVED your favorites to the flash drive rather than coping them (this is why they would seem to be deleted); when you did this it automatically redirected the favorites folder, stored in your registry, to the new location.

Have you already copied the files back to C:\Users\wproct\Favorites (substitute your userid for wproct if it is different on your computer)? If not the easiest thing to do would be to grab the Favorites folder on the flash drive and drag it back under your C:\Users\wproct; be sure to hold your shift key as you do this because that is what causes a MOVE rather than a copy. At that point your registry should be fixed and all you need to do is copy them back to your flash drive, this time being careful to COPY, no shift so as not to move.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I started to follow your instructions, I deleted the favorites folder that was in my C drive, and started to pull the favorites folder from my H drive over to my C drive. I got nervous and released my mouse, and then my favorites folder in my H drive disappeared. Everything still works normally as long as I leave my H drive (flash drive) plugged into the usb port, but if I remove it, then my favorites are gone. Only problem now is, I can't find my favorites folder in my H drive. I'm starting to feel totally incompetent.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer select your H: drive and then type Favorites in the search bar. Once you locate the Favorites grab the folder and drag to C:\Users\wproct, while still holding the mouse button, press and hold the shift key on your keyboard, release the mouse button while hovering over C:\Users\wproct, then release the shift key.

Reaction score
Hey, I'm making progress. I got a favorites file dragged back into my C drive and my favorites is once again functional without the flash drive installed in my computer. All I have to do now is try to locate some of my favorites that have been lost, but I can do that. Thank you so very much for your assistance! Things will work out now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Next time when you back them up to your flash drive make sure you copy, not move.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, thanks once again for your help! I'm a guy who is almost 70 years old, and know just about enough with my computers to be dangerous, lol. Anyway, you have saved me many hours of struggling. I appreciate it very much.

Ask a Question