GTX 460 SLI cooling?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure you can get the details about my rig on the computer specs area.

I've had 1 GTX 460 for a while, and it was fine idling @ 34C and load @ 71C max.

However I've recently bought a second after being impressed by the performance/price ratio and i knew that in SLI the card behind the 2nd would have issues getting air. But it is a little worrying that the card is idling @64C and load @ 70-84C with the fan going crazy. It may just be me worrying because i notice the fan speeding up, but I am unsure whether to consider maybe putting in a cardboard partition? to help the airflow and stop the hot air from getting sucked into the 1st GPU?

Maybe someone with previous SLI knowledge can help me out? I'm sure that these cards have been designed to work in SLI (with the heat) but its just something niggling at me in the back of my mind.

Also I don't think there is but is there a way to make the cooler card do most of the work? to try and help the the hotter one?

Thanks Rob

Reaction score
84 degrees C is on the higher end, but certainly nothing to worry about. I have a single AGP HD 3850 card factory overclocked and then I overclock the heck out of it to its max at 800 MHz. I reach the low 80s at times. Not a problem.

My advice is to simply enjoy what you have. :)

You could use RivaTuner or similar to set the fan speeds to max while playing if you really want.

Reaction score
I have read comments from people stating they placed an extra case fan across the top of both cards or close by blowing on them for extra cooling.

Ask a Question