Graphics in MS Word

Reaction score
When I receive a Word file attached to an e-mail (using Outlook), I can see the graphics just fine. As soon as I enable editing, though, the graphics are unable to display. I have tried dozens of recommended fixes without success. )This has nothing to do with the view, by the way.)

I am running Word 2010 on Windows XP on a small netbook.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's been ages since I've dealt with .docs emailed to me, but I seem to recall that you have to save the document on your hard drive in a different location than where Outlook keeps it stored in order to properly edit it, so that the attached media can be accessed when editing it. In other words, make sure you Save As the attached document from Outlook into My Documents, for example, and open it with Word from there, as opposed to opening it directly in Word from Outlook.

If this doesn't help, I apologize, it's been a while.

Reaction score
Not the solution

Thanks, CORE, but that's not the solution. It's somehow not that simple. Two other things I forgot to mention were (1) I didn't have this problem before taking the computer to Staples for a free tuneup, but I'm afraid to take it back, seeing what happened the first time, and (2) if I save the files on that computer, the graphics become unusable even for the person who originally sent me the file (i.e., one of my students).

The other mysterious thing is that at times even some of the graphics I put into a Word file are not available the next time I open the file, though I can see them quite well on our other computers.

I've posted elsewhere, but without constructive results.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to consider this problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is impossible for you to do something to an email file on your computer that could delete/corrupt the original pictures on the senders machine.

Ask a Question