Government to disconnect file-sharers from 2011

Reaction score
Just a news article I spotted what I thought would bring a bit of debate to the forums.... :D

The Government has confirmed that it will begin cutting off illegal file-sharers in 2011, as it looks to end "consequence-free" file-sharing.
Business secretary Lord Mandelson confirmed that the UK would adopt the controversial three-strikes system in April next year, which will ultimately see persistent file-sharers sent two warning letters before being cut off from the internet.
However, the Government will initially withhold the threat of disconnection, while Ofcom is tasked with measuring the effectiveness of warning letters - a study that will last a year. If illegal file-sharing is not reduced 70% by April 2011, the Government will begin ordering that illegal file-sharers be disconnected.
News article here - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352864/government-to-disconnect-file-sharers-from-2011

So what do you think - is this the right way forward..............

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If this comes about the funding will be ours to pay, thats mine and yours ISP charge would increase. It would be interesting to know what % of UK residents would receive warning letters, good news for the postal service ! :lol:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I would rather see them cap the offenders internet speed and download ammount that way a whole family living in one dwelling will not be denied some internet access because a family member was file sharing.

It would be like me speeding in my car and the government taking my car and my hubbie now having to walk/bus, it's not the computer (or cars) fault, but the user.

Reaction score
Ide like to know what will happen to those who have little knowledge of computers who are running an unsecure wireless network who then get their connection hijacked/piggy backed for illegal purposes.

Reaction score
If they don't use precaution, people will end up with free internet because they were shut off without reason. One person may not can push the issue. But if hundreds of people are effected, they can stir up alot of trouble.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
There are many downloading unseen using encryption that is an option in some download managers and there is Anonymous Proxies - Mixers etc, so i think this would be quite hard to police.

Reaction score
And its an area that the ISP are not keen to police either, I did read that they are forced into it by the government

Reaction score
There are so many alternatives to torrents (since I am sure that is what they really mean when they say P2P). And it is also so easy to hide what you are downloading through encryption, as long as you are using a suitable client like utorrent and not something like Limewire.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
They seem to avoid the (nasty) word "torrents"
I don't know if the public have access to the white papers or the full reading of the proposal, but, in the linked article, I think it is worded rather vaguely. I am not pious, by a long stretch, bit I have always used a download manager. It makes no sense not too, when you can speed up your download time by as much as 60%.
I have been working constantly with the downloading (legit) of very large Beta files from Microsoft, for a long time. If I had not had the mentioned advantage, I would have been in a bit of a hole.

It is also a fact that several large and respectable software people, particularly Linux, are no using torrents as an option. Even one of Microsofts respected partners is doing the same. If this situation is not examined and used very discretly, I fear the Government are heading into a lot of law suits in the future.

Fwiw. I am British, but live on the continent for family reasons. My ISP has been preactising censorship for some months now, but with great care. Their method is to ban access to certain black listed sites. Pirate Bay, for example, will get a no access return.

Ask a Question