Google Chome on W7 x64 pdf.pdf download

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just related to x64 users or not, or maybe just me altogether, but I keep downloading a file called pdf.pdf. It's happened a few times now and doesn't seem to be spyware or virus related. I didn't have a PDF viewer installed, but I do now. The file doesn't seem to be anything at all, it doesn't load when opened with adobe viewer.....?

Could this just be some kind of notification from my browser? Maybe the sites I was visiting had pdf content and this was it's way of saying hey, down load a viewer....?

Anyone else experience anything like this ever?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right to me - where do you get the pdf.pdf download popup coming from? Do you have the full URL that it comes from?

Also, any chance you could post a screenshot of the notification so we can see what it looks like? :)

Reaction score
Hmmm, your right, it's not right. I tried to restore it from the trash bin and Eset said it's a Exploit.gen trojan.

I'll do some looking into it and see what else I can find out about it, and how the hell it auto downloaded.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi mattweed9

Just going to some sites can trigger an auto download, i would suggest get rid of it and give your system a good scan ... and in safe mode, good luck.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can do as you wish, but Google's browser can't be trusted. I had it on my laptop for a while, and made some bookmarks on the toolbar. My bank was one of them. One day, I was hovering over the bookmarks, and the password for access to my bank was included in that long string of numbers and letters. So I closed it for a few days, same thing happened. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove the browser and all related registry items. As far as a search engine, Google is the fastest and questionably the best. As far as privacy goes, stay away from them as much as you can. lxquick is slower, but is confidential with your info. And they are getting ready to introduce an OS? If I was given a netbook with that OS on it, I'd in turn give it to a needy person, because I want nothing to do with Google.

Reaction score
Chrome is by far the most secure browser. I'm sorry your bank has a crappy URL system that includes a password, but no other company has worked harder to implement cutting-edge security features into their browser than Google has with Chrome.

(Note: I don't even use Chrome, but I acknowledge quality when I see it. I abstain for customization reasons).

Ask a Question