giant cursor!

Reaction score
just installed a new HiS HD 5770, and all was fine. just now however, was reading the news n when i went to change webpages the cursor is about 3/4 times bigger!
Im using W7 Pro. any ideas?

Reaction score
Going to "make it easier to see mouse pointer", when searching "cursor" on windows start, and clicking the "display pointer trails" apparently forces the cursor back to regular size, however unchecking that option makes the cursor huge again. also worthy of note : all other mouse themes are ignored when the mouse is super blind mode.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well it sounds as if since you're in "super blind mode" Windows 7 is defaulting to the big cursor on purpose. So you can see it. If you're not visually challenged then set the mode back to normal.

Reaction score
Well it sounds as if since you're in "super blind mode" Windows 7 is defaulting to the big cursor on purpose. So you can see it. If you're not visually challenged then set the mode back to normal.
i.. the mode IS normal. thats the whole point of this thread

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you using the "Windows Aero (system scheme)" in the Pointers section of the Mouse feature in Control Panel?

Reaction score
yes, i am.selecting any other scheme has no effect, the cursor remains huge

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi faun

I'm on Windows 7 Pro as well and if i go Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Mouse > Pointers > Scheme, in the drop down i can change the cursor size.

Reaction score
Yes, i know. But thats why i started this thread, it dosent matter what scheme i choose or whatever, my cursor remains huge. Its also affecting my cursor in-game, RTS specifically, FPS (perhaps obviously) isnt affected. Its odd, when i check the "display pointer trails" it does revert back to normal size, however ingame it renders the mouse invisible. Shame I cant screenshot the beast for u to see.

PS. Reboots seem to solve the problem, but only for a random amount of time, and sometimes not at all.

I believe it to be a graphics problem, I dont think its human error. Forgive me for being so arrogant as to think that I havent done anything wrong.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Have you tried reintegrating your mouse - if your using 3rd party software eg Razer try reloading the software, or if your using Windows 7 (Microsoft Drivers) unplug the mouse boot up then close down plug in the mouse and let Windows make new drivers.

Reaction score
further research apparently points to the problem originating from the gfx card or the mobo, specifically a gigabyte mobo. im on an ASUS, so im buggered. Another cause has been the BIOS, with people finding some luck in flashing/updating theirs to the latest. I just wonder why the problem should occur only in HD 5770 (and with some 58xx) cards.

il look into reintegrating my mouse though, thanks

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
This is a graphics card driver problem known to HD 5770 and HD 5800 series cards. Update to the latest possible driver to try and fix it... if it isn't fixed some users report that enabling "cursor trails" in your mouse properties panel will fix it.

This is one of those really absurd/unusual bugs. :)

Reaction score
Same on Radeon 5970! I'm using Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6, Core i7-860, Windows 7 64bit and Radeon 5970 with latest driver 10.1 using 1920x1200.

It behaves exactly as you described and have not been able to resolve it.

Brrr

Reaction score
hotfix 9.12 drivers fix the problem.

streaming HD content still results in gfx card crashes, however. and currently the 10.1 drivers that were released are useless. hotfix 9.12 is the way to go until ATI come out with a solid, certified fix

Reaction score
Thanks! I am installing it right away. (Yes, indeed, I still had streaming HD crashes :-o)
Cheers!!

Reaction score
Having Same problems

I have a HD 5770 and razer mouse drivers, i have the same problem :(. think i am just gonna hold out until ATI update there drivers . its not a huge problem for me atm just a little annoying :p

Reaction score
Hi Héktic - Welcome to w7forums

Have you tried the latest drivers from ATI? They posted updated drivers the other day.

The latest Catalyst Control Center is Version 10.2.

Reaction score
Im not touching 10.2 till news gets out on wether it works or not...

Reaction score
clifford_cooley hay, ill check the drivers out now :D, i found a temporary fix for the cursor aswell. if you change your colour quality from high to medium then change it back to high in your ATI CCC the cursor defaults back to normal, but as i say its only temporary it will change back to the large pixelated cursor when you go onto the web :)

Reaction score
clifford_cooley hay, ill check the drivers out now :D, i found a temporary fix for the cursor aswell. if you change your colour quality from high to medium then change it back to high in your ATI CCC the cursor defaults back to normal, but as i say its only temporary it will change back to the large pixelated cursor when you go onto the web :)

hotfix 9.12

@ your 10.2 comment, not suprised. getting a little more than cheesed off with ATI's offering, theyve had more than ample time to make working drivers what with W7 code being around for bloody ages.

another possible issue = screen mother of all **** ups. happens when tabbing between video playback and other applications, happens more than occasionally with me, the screen goes black and appears to completely crash trying to show something like an msn window with a video playing around/behind it. it takes around 4/5 mins in total till it completely gives up and simply dies with a black screen, but before that i appears to try and reboot itself or something, video audio will stop and start and the screen will flash bits of the taskbar etc. obviously i cant screenshot that, or record it....

Ask a Question