FULL PATH of files in Windows Explorer

Reaction score
Maybe this is the place to ask this question: how can I easily check the FULL PATH of files in Windows Explorer? My address bar at the top is quite cryptic (especially if I do a Search, find a file (where the entire address IS shown), then go to that file instead of opening the file in a New Window).

I was trying to find my old "Mike's No Ad Host file" in an XP version of Windows I have stored most of. I found a Host file, but it looks like the new one I got when I installed Win 7.

Or, alternatively, is there some way I can go Up/Back so I can re-discover the full path a step at a time?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe this is the place to ask this question: how can I easily check the FULL PATH of files in Windows Explorer?
Open Windows Explorer - select Tools - click Folder Options - select View Tab and look down the list for Display FULL path in title bar - click Box to display a tick if not visible - Click OK or Apply and Full path to files to be seen in the title bar

Reaction score
I had already done as you suggested, but your comment got me thinking. So I switched to Classic View and that solved the problem. Thanks.

Reaction score
Re: hosts file. This is an excellent site. Looks like a guy could check with this occasionally and keep the hosts file uptodate. Thanks again.

Ask a Question