Frustrated with Ubuntu

Reaction score
After having tried Ubuntu for several months, I am prone to switch back to Windows. However, I am not yet convinced as for security reasons. Why I switched to Ubuntu in the first place was after my Windows XP SP3 system got infected with a trojan, despite all the security measures I followed closely (unnecessary services disabled, automatic updates on, firewall on, virus scanner, router firewall, NoScript, AdBlock, etc.).

On Ubuntu, I still follow security measures. Because no system is 100% secure. Nevertheless, I feel MUCH safer with Linux. Because Windows viruses simply don't work with Linux. But still, I am frustrated with Ubuntu. Because the usability is just plain awkward.

Having had the possibility to try Windows 7 lately on a friend's machine, I have to say that I'm very impressed by the user friendliness. It's just so much easier to work with Windows 7. I don't have to fiddle with text lines in a terminal or fixing my WiFi after the kernel update broke it (again). I love the task bar of Windows 7 and the way libraries work. Everything, really everything is just so much easier compared to Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, the simplest things don't work properly. For example, Ubuntu does not remember the position and size of previously opened applications and windows. This drives me nuts.

But still, I am not completely sure yet, if the switch back to Windows is worth the security risk I already experienced first hand (even though that was XP still).

So my question is: How secure is Windows 7? Or how can I make it as secure as a Linux machine? I googled, but found very little to none information in the depths of Windows 7 security. For XP, there were always tons of infos how to tweak the system for best security (disable unneeded services, close ports such as 445 etc). But for Windows 7 I miss such guides.

What do you think? Is it worth switching back to the Windows world? I use my computer mostly for Internet, Email, Skype, music, videos and transcoding a dvd to mkv from time to time.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows 7 is already as secure as a linux product. The only difference is that hackers and mischief makers, get no satisfaction from hacking an open source program. Unfortunately, microsoft tend to make a rod for their backs by frequently advertising their own improved, and impenetrable systems.
With a solid firewall and antivirus product, that is pretty much as far as you can go. After that, your internet useage is the governing factor.
No indictment intended for any readers, but I never have reason to visit any pages remotely connected with sex. I do not have a great deal of interest in music (as it comes over the internet) so that eliminates another source. Any downloads are normally from sources which are as reliable as can be offered. I have on occasions, been tempted into downloading, via torrents, for example, early releases of a new product, but this is rare.
You must only take my word for it that, since windows 98 or before, I have only picked up a nasty on enough times to count on one hand. I have, on many occasions, been invaded with mischevious adverts and popups, but these are mainly harmless and only have nuisance value.
There is no such beast as a 100% secure operating system, including Linux. The only subjects on your computer that require real protection are your own personal files. etc. These can be doubly protected in other ways - moving them automatically to a more secure location, for example.
Constantly monitor your computer, but don't get too stressed about it - virus's can be dealt with on detection. Your experience with Windows will, I am sure, be a more pleasant one than with Linux.

javascript:;javascript:;

Reaction score
Thanks! After I experienced so much crap with Ubuntu 11.10, I'll switch to Windows 7. I can't even create a simple desktop shortcut in Ubuntu without consulting some geeks. Puts me off!

Ask a Question