SOLVED From 32 to 64 bit Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a Toshiba L450D and I am very pleased with and it came with a recovery disk for 32bit.

I have made a mistake by downgrading from 64bit to 32bit and now I would like to go bake to 64bit which is stored on the hard disk. I have had a look at it for 64bit but cannot find the setup file.

Can anyone help me please as I do not understand which ic which.

Thanks

Ken

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You are probably at an impasse for 64 bit from the laptop as you cannot go from 32 bit to 64 bit within the operating system. You'll have to do a clean install of 64 bit windows.

Go to this link and download the 64 bit version you need. Just follow the steps and you'll be all set to do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit.

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Reaction score
I don't think I need to go to downloads as a back up copy is stored on the hard disk so how do I get the hard dik backup to work.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
When you started your laptop for the first time it probably gave you an option to load either the 32 bit or the 64 bit Windows 7. Once you did that, you have permanently set your computer to the 32 bit version.

You can't go back now. You'll have to do a clean install if you want the 64 bit version. It is not possible, at all, to do an "upgrade" install from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version. Even those people who bought the Upgrade retail discs cannot do this.

I realize you don't want to have to reinstall all of your software, but if you truly want the 64 bit version you WILL have to do a clean install. (Windows 7 calls it a custom install).

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks for you advice but why store 64 bit on the hard disk?
The computer makers did that to give the end-buyer the option to install the OS version they wanted.

Besides once you do a clean install of the 64 bit version and load all the proper 64 bit drivers for you laptop, you'll notice that you computer probably will be faster and better running than ever before.

Make sure your laptop has the latest firmware installed and download the driver from:
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/supportMyProduct.do?service=UK

I noticed there's an 11J and an 11K series of your laptop model. Just download the correct drivers and you'll be good.

Ask a Question