SOLVED Freezes

Reaction score
I am experiencing freezes constantly in Win 7 64bit. I eliminated some install freezes by not using my wireless mouse and keyboard on install and installing later. The install still freezes when it tries to update the ATI driver. I also have problems with freezes with
X-fi (probably drivers), ASUS mobo drivers and apps., and installation of many other common apps.. The system invariably freezes on the first boot, but may work for a while after resetting. I will experiment by installing XP Pro 32bit to determine the hardware stability and will post my results on this thread later.

Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D PRO
2x1TB in Raid 0
8GB RAM running at 1333
HIS 4870
(X-fi Elite Pro) not installed now due to know driver issues

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi blackjack72 & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Your on a Intel MOBO so are you using Intel Matrix Storage Manager ? do you have "write back caching" enabled for the RAID volume ?.

Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz,
Yes, I'm using the Matrix Storage Manager. I did not change anything in the default Raid setup and since I've started the XP install without raid (no floppy drive or USB floppy), so I can't check. I also tried to install on one drive and got basically the same results (problems).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK, Me and a mate setup RAID 0 Intel MOBO with two new HDDs on his system and installed Windows 7 Pro, this is how it went

1. In the RAID BIOS, configure the two drives into the array you want (volume size, stripe size, etc) and save.
2. Reboot back into BIOS and set your RAID volume as first in the hard disk boot priority
3. Boot to the Windows 7 installation DVD and you will see it in your array as it's only option, install Windows 7.
4. After Windows 7 is in place, you can install the Matrix Storage Console by right clicking the .exe, go to "compatibility" tab and set it to run in compatibility mode for Vista, then right click the executable again and "run as administrator".
5. Make sure you have "write back caching" enabled for the RAID volume.
6. Plug in any other Drive you are going to use outside the RAID array.
7. Recheck the boot order in BIOS to make sure the RAID volume is still set as the primary drive and if it is thats it your good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks again Veedaz, I will try that and change my power setting to High Performance per your post on another thread. I'll post my results.

Reaction score
Power settings

After installing win 7 ....again, I was able to start write caching in the Matrix Storage Manager. I was not able to initiate the "High Performance" power setting. The "apply" button is grayed out and will not apply. I assume that I need to "run as administrator" but cannot find the icon to right click to accomplish this. Freezes still occur.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi blackjack72

Yes you do need to install Matrix Storage as administrator
4. After Windows 7 is in place, you can install the Matrix Storage Console by right clicking the .exe, go to "compatibility" tab and set it to run in compatibility mode for Vista, then right click the executable again and "run as administrator".

Reaction score
Reaction score
BTW, I did load the ATI drivers from a flash drive which appears to have worked better, so thanks for that. The freezes were still happening during installs of the ASUS drivers and apps, but that was as far as I got last night. After I change the power setting, I will post again.

Reaction score
Freezes are back. I'm at a loss. I had marked the thread as solved, but the problem is not. The power plan is still High performance and I even tried reinstalling the CCC and video drivers.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I noticed that you have your RAM running at 1333MHz clock speed. I have heard of people having issues with RAM at that speed.

Some have bumped it up to 1600 and got rid of the problems, others have dropped it to 1200 and solved the problem. Have you tried that yet?

Reaction score
My memory is 1600 but I'm forced to run at 1333 due to mobo restrictions. I will try to reduce speed to 1299 and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Since the memory is new and XP ran fine, I hope it is OK. But, I will test it to make sure. Thanks Veedaz.

Reaction score
The only lower memory speed option on my mobo is 1066. I changed it manually and the freezes appear to have stopped. It would seem that I have the option of running 4GB at 1600 or 8 at 1066. I am opting for 8 at 1066 for now. If any of you have any opinions on that, please share them. Thanks to all for your help!

Ask a Question